“Under the Sea” Posters

Today the students in 2KM and 2KJ worked on mini projects about sea creatures.

Using the netbooks and classroom computers, students researched interesting facts about their chosen marine animal. Some of the animals we investigated were sharks, dolphins, seals, sea turtles, stingrays, octopuses, seahorses and sea stars.

Students found information about the animals’ diets, habitats, lifespans, special features and much more. They had to put the information into their own words and create posters to share what they had learnt.

Under the Sea research

After researching and writing out some facts, students focussed on the presentation of their posters. It is important to make posters bright, easy to read and attractive. We included colourful headings, neat borders and realistic pictures on our posters. Check out some of the students’ work!

What is an interesting fact you know about a marine animal?

Do you have any questions for us about sea creatures?

What posters have you made in the past?

50 thoughts on ““Under the Sea” Posters

1. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I have to say, I am very impressed with your researching skills! Especially how you have taken the information you found and put it into your own words – I know plenty of adults who have trouble with that skill and to know that Grade 2 students can do it is so wonderful!

I loved looking through the photos of your posters – they look great! I love how you’ve all used bright colours, colourful headings and divided your information into categories to help your audience find the information they need quickly and easily.

I do have one question – for all of you: what was the most interesting fact you learnt about the sea creature you were investigating?

I make lots of posters all the time in my classroom – they’re a great way to share important information is a fun, informative and visual way. My favourite posters are the alphabet posters I make with the preps – I make every poster in the shape of something that starts with the letter we’re looking at (like an apple for ‘a’). I try to use lots of colours, too!

Have a great rest of week – you guys are superstars!

Stef Galvin 🙂

2. Congratulations on your resesearch 2KM and 2KJ. Being able to read information and the put it into your own words is a great skill to develop. Your posters were bright and colourful which attracts the attention of the viewer and so easy to read. We often make posters for our Show and Tell presentations and we are very proud of them. We know posters take quite some time to develop! Thank you for sharing yours with us.
    From Mrs. K and Room4 at Craigburn P.S.

• @ Mrs. K,

Great comment!

It was pretty hard to think of our own words.

I researched Stingrays. It was hard to find their enemies but I found out they are humans,
      Orcas and other whales.

They are carnivores. :mrgreen:

They protect themselves with their Stings on their tails.

From Mitchell 👿 😎

3. Dear 2KM and 2KJ;
    Thanks for sharing your posters about Sea Creatures. I am fascinated by all of the different types of life under the sea. Being from Ontario, Canada, we are pretty “land-locked” and don’t have the ocean at our fingertips to explore. While in Australia, my boys and I visited the Great Barrier Reef and were amazed by the sea life that we could swim right up to! We saw fish that we had only seen in Finding Nemo! It was so exciting to be able to be out there – really OUT THERE! We even saw a SHARK! I didn’t see any starfish though and wonder where they like to spend their time? are there starfish on the Reef? What IS their habitat? Thanks for sharing your learning! If you’d like to see our trip to the Reef and see some pictures we took underwater, you can check out our link: http://exchangetooz.blogspot.com/2011/10/great-barrier-reef.html

Thanks again,
    Tammy Bush

• Dear Tammy,

Hi my name is Kayla I’m in 2KJ and I have my own blog Please check it out:
      http://kaylasblog.global2.vic.edu.au/

Thank you for leaving us a fanatic comment. 😆

I have been to the Great Barrier Reef it is so so so colourful and pretty.

Here are some facts about starfish (sea star)

1. Star fish can swim up to 20,000 feet deep.

2. Some star fish are predators, they like eating mussels, clams and oysters.

3. Star fish can live every! They live in the sea bed and float on the top of the water.

4. Star fish have 5 arms and they can grow again and again!

5. Star fish do not have brains!

Do you like my facts ❓

I ♥ your blog (website)
      You have so many cool pictures and you put a lot of information in to it! 🙂

Thank you for leaving a great comment Tammy!

Love from Kayla ♥

4. Dear 2KJ and 2KM,

Last year when I was in 2KJ I had great fun learning about the sea. I’ve got a question are dolphins skin rough or smooth?
    I really enjoyed looking at your posters they all look amazing. the ones I thought really stood out were the tiger sharks and the sea turtles. My fact is about dolphins. They can dive to a great depth of about 1640 feet inside water and can also leap up to a great height above water.

Have lots of fun learning about the sea!

Lot of ♥ Kealee

• @ Kealee,

Thank you for leaving a comment on this post!

I will answer the comment that you asked us:

Some dolphins have smooth skin and some dolphins have rough skin.

I love your facts!

Best Wishes,
      Hannah

5. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,

Your sea creature posters are all wonderful. I can see how much work you’ve all put into them. 🙂

***Interesting sea creature facts –

Have you ever heard of the Japanese spider crab? Their legs can grow up to 4m long and their bodies can reach up to 37cm across. They can weigh up to 20kg. That’s one large crab.
    They can be found in waters off Japan in depths from about 150m to 800m. They go to the shallower waters to lay eggs.
    Unlike the smaller ones we see at the beach, these long legged crabs can’t walk around out of water.

***Do I have any questions…

There are still places under the ocean where no one has seen because of their depths. The deepest known place under the sea is the Mariana Trench to the east of the Philippines. The Trench is over 2500km long and at its deepest point, the Challenger Deep, is over 10km deep. If we were able to take our highest mountain in the world, Mt Everest, and put it in the bottom of the Challenger Deep, it wouldn’t even reach half way to the surface. It’s only 8850m high so there would still be about 11000m to go.
    That deep down no light reaches but there would be life. Perhaps many would be blind. Some might make their own light. They may be longer of legs than the spider crab. They could be huge monster like animals build to survive the pressure so deep down. My question, and its a hard one…

Can you come up with any ideas of what an animal living that deep might look like?

** What posters have I made…

Over the many years as a student (Did you know with school, university and college I was a student for 18 years?) I have made many posters on so many topics. These days I don’t make posters but I do design covers for DVDs and CDs.
    This link will show you a recent DVD cover of an adult choir. They received a DVD and twin CD of their concert….
    http://twitpic.com/7m9edi

Keep blogging as I look forward to your posts.

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

• OOPS sorry class…. I added an extra zero to the depth left for Mt Everest. It should say it wouldn’t reach to the surface, not less than half way, and there would still be 1100m to go. Boy, I need to watch my maths when I write quickly. 🙂
      Ross Mannell (teacher)
      NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross Mannel,

Great long and interesting comment! 😆

No, we have never have heard of the Japenese spider crab.It sounds p[retty weird and interesting at the same time.

from Dana

• Dear Ross Mannel,

Yes I have heared of the Japenese spider crab.

I have seen the japanese spider on t.v.

By the way, your comment was very long and good.

Haille (2kj)

6. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Wow, great post Miss Jordan. Well done everybody for doing these excellent posters!

Thank you for putting me on the blog. All the other people deserved to be on this blog post because they did a good job too.

A interesting fact I learnt was that turtles eat mini fish. I never new that!

I have made a dolphin poster!

Love,
    Meg

7. WOW!
    You are radical researchers! What an important skill you are learning. Presenting information in clear, attractive and colourful posters is a wonderful way to present your learning. In fact my class of Grade 3/4’s are presenting posters tomorrow for their 7 Wonders of the World Project. I just love learning new things.

Do you know the most famous marine creature famous in the top end? Yes, it’s the crocodile. We have a famous crocodile called ‘Sweetheart’ in our local museum. She was caught and to this day was on of the largest crocs in Australia!

We have to be careful around water near our houses, school and particularly rivers and the beach. Even though it is really hot here, we can only swim in our backyard pools. You just never know if a big croc is lurking beneath the water up here! We learn how to be Croc Wise at school.

Well wonderful learning, you are fabulous researchers.
    From Miss Dwyer

• Dear Miss Dwyer,

2KM and 2KJ love your comment!

Wow, what a “wow word” that you used in the first sentece.

Last night I whatched Getaway and I saw some crocodiles in the lake, river and in the dams.

At our school we learn cyber saftey and we learn about sun smart so we do not get sun burnt.

My friend Kayla has been to Queensland and she saw heaps of crocodiles.

Here is the link to http://kaylasblog.global2.vic.edu.au/

When was Sweatheart caught?

Wow, you can only swim in your backyard.

In Victoria (Australia) you can swim where ever you want to swim but if you go for a swim at a local pool you have to pay to get in.

In my new house I am getting a pool!

I did the Sea Turtle with my friend Meg.

Best Wishes love from
      Keira in 2KJ.

8. dear miss jordan,

i really like your pictures because your students are doing cool things.
    I think your maskot is really cool i hope you have a good christmas

from your pal nathan

9. Dear Miss Jordan,

I like your posters. They are cool. That reminds me of our posters. We have Internet safety posters like “Follow you Fiona”. Do you have more posters?

I know that turtles and fish are under the seas animals.

Evyn a techie kid

• Dear Evyn,

We love your comment.

Thank you for saying that about the posters.

Cool posters that you just mentioned.

Bye for now.

Love from
      Keira in 2KJ.

10. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

We like your posters. We liked how you wrote out all of the interesting facts and illustrated your work. Can you share your favorite fact about your animal with us?

Here are some of the things we have heard about under sea animals.

Sharks eat meat.
    Starfish can make new arms if something happend to the other one.
    Anglerfish have a bioluminescent light.
    Jellyfish can sting people.
    Seashorse babies are carried by the daddy.

Great work on your research posters!

Your friends,
    The 2nd grade Techie Kids

11. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Great post.

I loved doing the under the sea posters they are great.

I just loved looking at the posters everyone did.

Last year in Mrs Westcott’s grade we were doing life cycles. I did a life cycle about a horse of course because they are my favourite animals and we made them into posters.

Great posters everyone.

From your class mate,
    Ava

12. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Great post, Miss Jordan and great posters everyone. The people who are on this post dersve to be on this post because there posters are so beautiful!

Eb♥ny: An interesting fact of a Sea Stars diet is that there eat Clams, Oysters and Mussels.

Meg: An interesting fact that is about Sea Turtles is that they have a curly tail. I never ever new that!

Eb♥ny and I have made a Dolphin poster and also with Haille. It was when we were in Mrs Milton’s classroom, Harry and Will have made a shark poster in Mrs Milton’s cllassroom too. I think they did a fantastic job.

Have any of you seen a Turtle or a Sea Star?

Have any of you gone snorkeling?

Happy blogging everyone!

Your blogging pals,
    Meg and Eb♥ny

13. Dear 2KM and 2KJ, Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

I am writing to thank you for skyping with my class at Deakin Uni yesterday. It was so good to talk to you and find out all about blogging.You made it sound like so much fun that I hope I can make a blog with my class when I am a teacher!
    Your Under the Sea posters look fantastic too!
    I heard that some clams can live up to 400 years old! I wonder if they need to use a walking stick?
    keep up the good work!
    Thanks,
    Morven (Ms. Murray)

• Dear Mrs Morven,

Thanks for your great comment.

It was very nice of you to leave us a comment after skyping.

I’m sorry I forgot to introduce my self. My name is Ava if you can remember I said something when we were skyping. I’m not quite sure what I said though because I forgot.

That would be great if you make a blog for your class when you’re a teacher. I hope you teach grade three’s next year at Leopold Primary School and I hope I have you as a teacher. That would be awesome!

Wow! I never new that very interesting fact before that clams can live up to 400 years old. Ha ha ha you are so funny and I don’t think that clams would have to have a walking stick. 😆

If you would like to look at my under the sea blog post click this link: http://avasblog.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/11/20/under-the-sea/\

Thanks I will and you keep up the great blogging.

From your pal,
      Ava (2KM)

14. Dear Mrs Morris,
    How do you present your children’s work in the photo slideshow? I was using Photobucket but it can’t be viewed on the iPads.
    Mrs Davey

• Good morning Mrs Davey,

I made the slideshow in PowerPoint and then used AuthorStream to upload it. It’s very easy and effective! 🙂

Have a lovely day,
      Miss Jordan

• Dear Georgia,

Thank you for the wonderful blog comment on this blog post.

That is interesting that you did a poster about football and put it into a book.

Your blogging pal,
      Mikayla 😆

15. Dear Maddy

I like your Comment we have not did a progect about Football but I like Football I`am doing Football next Year.

Great post Maddy

From Connor

• Dear Ella,

Great comment.

It sounds like Dana knows a lot about the Bottle Nose Dolphin.

Me and Georgia did the seahorse.

What did you like the most about doing the under the sea posters.

See you tommorow,

Love your blogging pal,

Paris ♥☻☺♠♣♦○◘•