Today is a special day.

It is the 11th of November, 2011.

This day only happens once every 100 years.

We took this photo at 11 minutes past 11 to remember where we were at this time.

What is the main reason why the 11th of November is a special day?

What were you doing at 11:11am or 11:11pm on 11.11.11?

17 thoughts on “11.11.11

1. Hi 2KM & 2KJ,

I know that Rememberance Day is a special day where we take a little bit of time to remember the men and women that fought, and sometimes died, for our country in various wars.

Did you know that originally the 11th of November was the day that marked the end of World War 1 in 1918? It was called Armistice Day.

These days there is often a service to remember people who have fought in wars. They read ‘The Ode’ which is part of a longer poem and play two bugle calls named ‘The Last Post’ and ‘The Rouse’.

Have you heard them before, or know what they represent? Maybe you can find out.

Oh, I almost forget the second part of your question. At 11:11am I was having a cup of coffee and I’m pretty confident that at 11:11pm I’ll be in bed asleep!

Mr de Been

• Dear Mr De been,

Great Comment!

Hi, our names are Molly and Jordi. Molly is from 2KJ and I’m from 2KM.

Jordi: Do you remember Lilly from your last yearโ€™s student. ๐Ÿ˜› I’m her sister, Jordi. Can you please check out my blog? Here is the link.
      If you want can you please leave a comment on my blog?

Molly: You teach my friend, Remy. My name is Molly. I’m Jordiโ€™s friend. I love your comment.

Jordi and Molly: We are not very sure what the last post and the rouse means. Sorry! ๐Ÿ™ Perhaps someone else can find out the answer for us?

Molly and Jordi
      (From 2KM and 2KJ)

2. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

November 11 is Remembrance Day. At 11:11 and 11 seconds I was still at my town’s Remembrance Day Ceremony out our local war memorial.

It was a bright, sunny, warm day as I watched the service at the memorial. In the background was the lake and to the left, the way out to the sea.

A girl called Isabella from our local school spoke to the service and explained the meaning of Remembrance Day. Two other Year 6 students laid a wreath in memory of those who had fallen.

Your photo looks wonderful. Imagine keeping the photo so in 100 years children going to school could see all of you. They would look at you and wonder what you were like.

Perhaps one would say, “That’s my great granmother (or great grandfather).”

That date would be 11/11/2111 so there would be an extra number 1 again. That wouldn’t happen again for a thousand years on 11/11/3111.

Numbers can be amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Tonight at 11.11pm, we will both be in bed asleep.

We had one minute silence at school today to remember all the soldiers who went to war.

We thought it was funny when you suggested that someone might look at our photo in 100 years. Imagine that!

Thanks for your wonderful comment!

From Ella and Dana ๐Ÿ˜†

3. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I am so glad to read that you to took part on this very special day.

It is time to remember past and present soldiers who went out to battle, so that we can live in a war free country. We should feel very lucky.

I too stood still for a minute while I was at your school today. The grade which I was in should be very proud of themselves for everyone of the children stood still in silence to remember past and present soldier.

From AA.

• Dear AA,

Thank you for your amazing comment.

Yes today is very special becaus it is the 11, 11, 11 and it was 11 o’clock, but it’s not that time right now.

Imagine if we lived in a county where the war was going? We are lucky to live in Australia.

I like it when people have to stand still and stay silent for one minute. We do this to remember the soldiers who went to war.

From your blogging pal,

4. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Great post!

We think the main reason of rememberence day is that you should think about the peopole who have been in the war.

In 2Js today we watched a video of the world war 1 when we watched the video we were also listening to music the music that was beeing played was a song called waltzing matilda.

Your Friends,
    Amelie and Hannah

• @ Hannah and Amelie,

Thankyou for the great blog comment that you left us.

The 11.11.11 is to remember who went to war. If they did not go to war then we will not be here today.

I was in Mrs Wescotโ€™s grade we got to do colour in two or one picher. I got up to my secend one.

We read out a little porm and then we looked at some pichers.

Your friend,

5. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,
    I loved seeing your photo of your class at 11/11/11 at 11:11am! That is a photo worth saving.
    Your Remembrance Day is similar to our Veteran’s Day, which we also celebrate on November 11th. On Veteran’s we honor anyone who has served in the armed forces in the past or are currently serving.
    We wrote a post about it on our blog too!
    We have the school day off for Veteran’s Day, so I will be celebrating from home. It’s not really possible for us to get the same kind of photo as yours, since our children will be home.

Today is a day I think about all the people in my family who have served or are serving in the armed forces. I owe my freedom in America to them.
    Mrs. Hembree

• Dear Mrs.Hembree,

Hi my name is Georgia and I am from Miss Jordan’s grade.

I like your comment
      Yes I like the photo too.

HaHaHa yeh save the photo yes, yes yes.

Cool you get to have the day off.

I love your blog!
      Our blog is… 2KM and 2KJ blog.com.au

Well that is nice that you give your freedom to america.
      Your pal,
      Georgia. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰ (Australia victoria)

6. Hello 2KJ and 2KM,

What a wonderful post you have put up about Remembrance day. I think it is so important that we learn and understand the reasons behind why we remember on this day the people that have given their lives to make our country what it is today.

The first world war ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month which is why we stand still at 11.00 am for one minute.

Oliver and I were at the library at a storytime session and I think all the little children (and the mums, dads and grandparents!) did a wonderful job of staying very quiet and still for a minute ๐Ÿ™‚

The poppy is a symbol for remembrance day due to a poem that was written a long time ago about a field used in World War 1 where the poppy grew wild.

Your blogging buddy,

• Dear Martine,

Wow, I never knew that a poppy was from a poem about a field used in World War 1, but now I do.

How do you know so much about the poppy?

Lots Of Love,

7. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,
    My name is Angelina, I go to Camira State School also known as CSS.
    My favourite hobby is Swimming and reading books [Chapters only] my favourite book is Conspiracy 356.

At our school we also participate in Rememberence Day.
    Do you get to see a few of the Army soilders?

What do they teach you and why do you think they teach these things to you?

Thank you for reading my comment.

Angelina. ๐Ÿ˜€

8. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I actully feel sorry for them because they fighted for us to live with no other naghty people.

I can not beleive they fighted for austraila, america, new zealand and lots more.

I like them.

Kayla’s dads dad was in the army and he came back with lots of ingery.

Best wishes,
    Georgia. ๐Ÿ™‚ :0 ๐Ÿ˜›