A Skype Call with Mrs Yollis’ Class

It was a fun morning in 2KM and 2KJ today because we skyped with Mrs Yollis and her third graders!

Yollis Nov 2011

We haven’t been able to skype with Mrs Yollis and her new students yet because of the different time zones. However, now there is daylight saving here in Victoria, and Americans have finished daylight saving, so we have a small window of time where we are at school when Mrs Yollis’ class is!

2KM and 2KJ students came to school early today and it was 8.45am Wednesday morning when we started skyping. Over in California it was 1.45pm Tuesday afternoon!

Mrs Yollis’ class finishes school at 2.21pm. Lots of her students stayed back after the bell to keep chatting!

For our Skype session, we assigned some special jobs to students:

Alana was our greeter. She introduced the class and started our skype call.

Haille and Ava were our typists. They used netbooks to type up the questions, answers and conversations we had.

Jordi and Mia were the photographers. They took photos of the interesting moments during the skype chat.

Our researchers were Charlotte, Molly, Quinn, Liam, Jarrod, Dana and Kayla. They thought of interesting topics to share with our American buddies and found information on the internet.

Other students brought in some special “Australian” items for a show and tell session.

Before our skype call, 2KM, 2KJ and Mrs Yollis’ class organised some questions and answers to share. It was interesting to learn some new information about America. Our researchers enjoyed sharing some Australian facts.

Read what our typists recorded during our Skype chat below…

Our photographers took photos to show all the fun we had…

What did you learn about America?

What are some similarities or differences between Australia and America?

Do you have an interesting fact about Australia that you could share next time we Skype?

Be sure to head over to Mrs Yollis’ Class Blog and check out the post about the Skype call from their end. It is a terrific post!

30 thoughts on “A Skype Call with Mrs Yollis’ Class

1. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Wow it looked like everyone had a great time this morning. It was great to see everyone so eager and keen for school this morning. 🙂

I loved how students were assigned jobs, it looks like everyone did a great job at the tasks they performed. I also loved the interesting conversations you had, you are all learning so much about other countries and cultures which is great to see.

Keep up the great work,
    Melane (Jarr☀d’s Mum)

• @ Melane,

I love your comment!

i think it is good that students assigned jobs too!

yes, we all had a fantastic time.

I liked the conversations too!

Wow, eager is a really good word!

Best Wishes,

2. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Great post Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris!

Great job for all of the people who reserched and helped do all the typing and taking photos and great job for remembering to bring the toys in.

I had an excellent day skyping with Mrs Yollis and meeting all of her new students.

I lernt a lot of American things from all of the kids, and I lernt a lot about Australia too.

I forgot some similarities, but I can only remember one wich is America.

I don`t have any interesting facts about Australia.

• Dear Meg,

I love your comment it is the best comment you have left!

I think that the people who spoke really clealy and do a fantastic job.

The writters were so fast at typing like I would forget somethings and it would not make sence.

Best wishes love from
      Keira your friend. 😆

• @ Keira,

Thank you for the reply, I was waiting for one any way Fabulous comment.

Thank you for saying that my comment is the best comment that I`ve ever left on the blog.

• Dear Sophie,

Thank you for the excellent reply. I knew you would reply to me.

You`re a really great blogger repllying to people, and leaving other comments on other peoples blogs.

No, I haven`t gone to America. But have you?

Have fun blogging Sophie ❗

Warm Wishes,

• @ Meg,

Your blog comments are so good.You have been living a lot of blog comments latly.

I laend a lots as well from Mrs.Yollis like you.

Your blogging friend,

• Dear Mikayla,

Thank you for the fabulous reply you did.

I think you`re becoming a great blogger too, that is very good that you earnt your own blog!

Wow, it`s good you learnt something about America too.

Happy typing Mikayla!

Your blogging pal,

3. Dear 2KM and 2KJ, 😆

Great post Miss Jordn and Mrs Morris! I liked skyping with Mrs Yollis and her students. It was very fun!

I liked skyping did you?

your blogging pal,

• Dear kayla, 😆

Thanks for the reply. I like blogging a lot. I can see how you got your own blog. 😎

Do you have skype on your commputer?

Your blogging pal,

4. @ 2KM and 2KJ,
    I hope all the students enjoyed skyping! 😆

I am disapointed I was away today. 😥

A fact is that in America they drive on the other side of the car and on the other side of the road than us in Australia.

• Dear Harry,

Thank you for leaving a comment when you are not at school!

Yes we did have fun skyping.

It is OK because, we wrote a post about it so people who were away can read about it.

Your fact is very good ❗

From Kayla ♥

5. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I’ve already visited Mrs. Yollis’ class blog and commented about it. This was an amazing experience. I loved hearing happy birthday being sung through Skype. What a way of sharing a special time.

Skype and blogging has opened up a global classroom for all involved. Had it not been for blogging, I would never have known about 2KM and 2KJ, let alone Mrs. Yollis and her class or others on “Our World, Our Story”.

I can still remember the thrill of my class when they first started sharing email with US classes in the 1980s. These days, you share more than text. You can share video, audio and even see each other as you chat.

Keep blogging!

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

• @ Ross Mannell,

My name is Andrew and I am in 2KM.

Skyping with Mrs Yollis and her class was a great experience.

I learnt that their class learns Spanish

as a second language. we learn indoonesian at Leopold plimary school.

We were interested when we read your comment thar you could send emails in the 1980s. Even my teacher was surprised that they were around then. we thought they were creared a long time after thar.

thank you for your inrerst in our blog and your grear commenrs. We all look for ward to hearing from you soon.

your blogging buddy

6. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

What a delight it was to get together with all of you yesterday! Thanks so much for coming in early to make it happen. You’re great!

I learned a lot from our exchange. It was hard to believe that we have 313 million Americans in our country and you have 23 million citizens. Like you said, the population density is the key. Our two countries are pretty similar in size, but we are filling up the space with people! The American cities with the highest population are: New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

Visiting again with Ella and Ryley was fun for me. Who knew that a wombat could be so big! I wonder if anyone has visited Ayers Rock/Uluru?

Thanks for a great connection!

Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Great comment! 😆

I’m really glad that we got to
      skype for the first time too!
      I also learnt a lot from your class
      and all about California.
      I hope to go to Disneyland one day.
      My Grandpa and my Dad have climbed Ayers Rock. My Grandpa was 70 when he climbed it!

Your blogging buddy,
      Dana! Australia 😎

• @ Dana,

Thanks for your comment back. I was excited to hear that your grandfather climbed Ayers Rock! How long did it take for him to do it?

Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Thank you for your reply. Grandpa can’t remember exactly how long it took, but it was longer than an hour each way and he had to take lots of water to drink.

7. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Hi! My son Rexon is a student in Mrs. Yollis’ class. It is so cool that your classes were able to connect via Skype. Your post about the call is full of wonderful photos, notes and I love the music…”So Happy Together”….how perfect.

One of your students brought in a boomerang, as did Rexon. It’s not easy to make it return. Do you have any tips or pointers on how to do so?

The only koala bears we have here live in zoos. I am curious, do koalas live in your neighborhood? Have you seen any in your yards? That would really be amazing! We have coyotes in our neighborhood.

Happy blogging!

Whitney (Rexon’s Mom)

• Dear Whitney (Rexon’s Mom),

Hi my name is Kayla and I’m from 2KJ.

Well thank you for leaving a comment; it is great to hear from you.

I have my own blog if you would like to see is. Here is the address
      Do you like it ❓

Well I have 1 tip for you for throwing a boomerang it is, see which way the wind is going, throw the boomerang the APEST way the wind is going and if you’re lucky it might come back to you.

No we go not have Koalas in our back gardens. But when Miss Jordan was a kid there where heaps and heaps>/b> of Kangaroos.

Is this your first time leaving a comment ❓
      Do you like our Blog ❓

Kayla ♥ 🙂

8. Dear Kayla,

My name is Rexon. Thank you for commenting back to my mom. That is some great tip about throwing a boomerang. It is not my mom’s first time leaving a comment. My mom loves your blog! Next time I am at the park I will try your tip.

Soon we will be celebrating Thanksgiving in America. Do you have a national holiday coming up?

9. Hi! 2KM & 2KJ,
    Your great blog post reminded me of when my class had to come to school super early so we could skype our blog buddies across the world. We called that day Skype Breakfast because we were at school so early we had to have breakfast at school!
    I really love how some of the students had special roles so that you can remember everything you talked about.
    It must have been so great to finally see and talk to your friends in Mrs Yollis’s class.
    From Anna Gerritsen
    Room 14
    Hamilton East School

10. Pingback: Skyping | Jarrod's Awesome Blog