Our Friends in California

2KM and 2KJ love blogging and one of our favourite things about having a class blog is connecting with other student bloggers from all around the world!

Mrs Yollis and her third grade class in Los Angeles, California (USA), are one of our closest blogging buddies. We love to check out Mrs Yollis’ blog, leave her comments and have commenting conversations. We have learnt a lot about life in America from Mrs Yollis and her students.

Just to show how far away we live from Mrs Yollis, look at the map below. (Click on the picture to enlarge it).

World map

A few weeks ago Jarrod sent a special package over to Mrs Yollis’ class. Check it out here. Read about what happened when Mrs Yollis’ class tasted vegemite!

We got such a surprise yesterday when we received a big parcel, all the way from Mrs Yollis’ class in California!

Our special package contained a lovely card, American flags for all students, four packets of “Jelly Belly” jelly beans, delicious lolly pops for everyone and a wonderful Californian book, titled “Golden Numbers”. We are so lucky!

Leo checking out the card from Mrs Yollis and her students.

P1030576

We read the special book straight away!

P1030577

We enjoyed the jelly beans. Yum!

P1030600

Hello from Australia!

P1030579

A big thank you to Mrs Yollis and her fabulous third grade students. You truly are such special friends!

Do you have any friends or family members who live in another country?

What have you learnt from Mrs Yollis and her students about America?

What is your favourite treat to eat?

23 thoughts on “Our Friends in California

1. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

I really like the blog post you did.

My favourtie treat to eat is chocholet and jelly bins.

No one in my family lives over seas our in Austalia only in victoria and one in swonhill.

I have laend at lot from Mrs.Yollis and hre class from America.

Your friend,
    Mikayla

2. Dear 2km and 2kj,

Great post Miss Jordan.

This blog is great.

My favourite treat to eat is cochlate.

Your friend,

Love from,

Paris.

• Dear Paris,

Chocolate is also one of my favourite treats to eat.

Speaking of chocolate, while I’ve been away I’ve been making some cookies, smarty ones and choc chip ones.

Love From,

Haille. 😯

3. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Now this is the way to really enjoy sharing blogs!

I have had Jelly Belly jellybeans. They have some really nice flavours. Lolly pops too! This is like Halloween Trick or Treating.

Friends and family? I have friends in so many countries covering the continents. They’re in North and South America, Europe, the UK, Asia, Africa and, of course, Australia. Many have become friends through blogging, Facebook and Twitter. Some are my former students now with families of their own. One former student is now a teacher in London while others became teachers in Australia. Being on line keeps me in touch.

Learnt from Mrs Yollis and her students? Both your class and Mrs. Yollis’ class have shown so many how the strength of the bond between classes in different countries can become. Classes are no longer part of the one school, they are now part of a global school with each child in a global classroom.

Favourite treat to eat? No competition there, chocolate.

With Halloween being on Monday I wonder if Mrs. Yollis’ class will be Trick or Treating?

Do any of 2KM and 2KJ go out Trick or Treating?

In my town, Trick or Treating has grown over the last five or six years. I am preparing over 60 little packs of treats for those who will call this year. Parents know my house is Halloween friendly and it’s safe to visit. 🙂

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thank you for your fantastic comment on the 2KM and 2KJ blog.

It is the same about the jelly beans because I love all the flavours of the jelly beans.
      My dad tells me that if people don’t give you any treats you have to do a trick on them.

You have lots of people in other county. That is a family that you have got.

I liked how they send all those wonderful things and I loved reading a little bit of the book and some of our students went to America to see Mrs.Yollis’s old students from last year’s kids but now they are in grade four from Mrs.Yollis’s old class.

I love chocolate too because it has all different tastes and I especially I like the milky was yum!

I think they will be Trick or treating because American’s mostly they go every year that would be fun and plus I’m going this year.
      We have a teacher called Mrs Luscem and she goes to our school and she lives across the road. Also she is Half American and half Australian and she has spooky durations.

Are you going Trick or treating ❓

I hope you have a happy hallowing for on Monday.

Your Blogging friend,
      Millie (2KM)

• Hello Millie,

Thank you for answering my comment. 🙂

I won’t be going Trick or Treating on Monday. I stay at home to give out treats. The children in my area know I’m in a safe house to visit. Their parents bring them around.

By what I’ve read in your comment, you may be going Trick or Treating.

Do families in your area agree to join in on Halloween Trick or Treating?

Ross Mannell (teacher)
        NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell

Thank you for your reply.

When it comes for Trick or Treating I can’t go when it’s too late especially when it is on a school night.

It would be nice if I stayed home and gave people treats but this time I going because last year mum promessed me that we would go this year also my mum and my friends can hand out the treats.

My mum, aunty and two boys might be staying home and my dad, my uncle, my sister and me of cause I don’t know if there going or not.

Are you going to dress up for when your handing out lollies?

If so what are you dressing up as?

Happy hallowing.

Your friend,

Millie (2KM) 😆

4. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Wow what wonderful way to start you new project.
    That is so wonderful of Mrs Yollis and her students to send you such a wonderful parcel filled with heaps of yummy treats and a book. 🙂

I do have a few friends which I have connected with which I got to know because of Mrs Morris.
    They are Mrs Yollis, Mrs Hembree and Mrs Lynch.

I feel very lucky to have connected with them and some of their children as well.

Well you are all of to a flying start enjoy these in coming of weeks of learning and growing with your blogging pals.

From AA.

• Dear AA,

Thank you for leaving us a awesome comment.

You are a very, very good blogger.

It is very nice for Mrs Yollis to give us a present.

We all tried the candies, and they were so yum!

Also the book is interesting too. 😆

You are so lucky to connect with the kids the teachers.

How long have you knew them for ❓

Can you check out my blog ❓
      Here is the address kaylasblog.global2.vic.edu.au
      Hope you like it. 🙂

Or you can click on my name up of the top of my comment.

It is great to hear from you.

From you blogging pal,
      Kayla ♥♥♥ 😎

5. Hi 2M and 2KJ!
    I am a Canadian Teacher on exchange in Australia with my family. In answer to your question, I have my children in Australia (with me) and then rest of my family in Canada, the U.S. and even China. I’ve loved your beautiful country and will be sad to leave it in December. I am missing Canadian Halloween though and am going to try to give my class a taste. My boys are finding it strange to not be trick or treating this year.
    I love to eat coffee crisp chocolate bars in Canada – but I’ve come to enjoy the Freddo Frog here and the fantails – YUM!

Happy Halloween,
    Tammy Bush

6. Dear 2KM and 2KJ, 😆

I liked the American flags they were fantastic! I never heard of a Jelly Bellys before. They sound intristing.

I have never seen a American lollypop before.

I wonder what it would be like if we could live in America?

You Blogging Pal,
    Bradley

7. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I am so glad that you enjoyed the parcel! We excitedly packed it up and are please that you have enjoyed everything.

Jelly Bellies are yummy and the company is headquartered here in California. My favorite flavors are cherry, cotton candy, and cinnamon! YUM! What are some of the flavors that 2KM and 2KJ enjoyed?

Did anyone learn any new fun facts about California? I was surprised how many National Parks there are in California. Does anyone recall the number? Is there a National Park that you’d like to visit if you ever came to California?

I can’t wait to show this post to the kids tomorrow! They will be thrilled that you liked their gift!

Your friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

8. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

My favourite sweet thing to eat is chocolate.

All my family live in Australia but my Pop and Great Nonna used to live in Italy they moved to Australia when pop was very young.

Best wishes
    Ella

9. Dear 2KM and 2KJ, 😆

Great post Miss Jordon! My favourite treat is chocolate. I have learnt a lot from Mrs Yollis.

Bradley

10. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

Thank you Mrs Yollis for the yummy treats. My favourite was the orange Jelly Belly. I did not taste the licorice one but wish I did because I love black lollies. My brother ate my lollipop and he loved it so much he had it all over his face! He stole it off me when I gave him a taste.

Happy trick or treating everyone,
    Amelie

• @ Amelie,

I’m so glad that everyone enjoyed the treats! I mentioned that I really like the cinnamon, cherry, and cotton candy. However, I forgot all about the licorice ones! I love those too! (I guess I really like them all!)

I can’t believe that your brother took your lollypop! He must have been quite a site with it all over his face!

Did you have a favorite fun fact about California?

Your friend,
      Mrs. Y♥llis
      California

11. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

It looks like you all enjoyed your special parcel.

When living in America for a year I loved to receive care packages from home filled with lots of goodies. I really missed our Aussie chocolate and BBQ shapes. I still love chocolate and do enjoy BBQ shapes occasionally.

I love the connection you make with your blogging buddies and all the learning that takes place from those connections.

Best wishes,
    Melane (Jarr☀d’s Mum)

• @ Melane, (Jarr☀d’s Mum)

Thanks for starting the whole surprise package exchange! It was a very thoughtful thing to do!

The blogging connections are really quite extraordinary…why just look at the Skype call between Jarr*d and Royce. It is a wonderful world we are living in!

I have a question, what are BBQ shapes?

Your friend,
      Mrs. Y♥llis
      California

• @ Mrs Y♥llis,

It amazes me the communication and learning that takes place from across the ocean. I remember being told when I was in high school about how the internet and emails were coming and going to change our lives, I had no idea exactly how at that stage and couldn’t even imagine it really.

It was our pleasure to share some treats with you and your class.

BBQ shapes are a unique snack, the best I can describe them as is a savory biscuit like a cracker with flavouring coating them. Here is a link which might provide more information for you, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnott%27s_Shapes .

Best wishes,
        Melane (Jarr☀d’s Mum)

12. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

I have learnt a lot about blogging from Mrs Yollis

I have learnt how to leave a quality comment from Mrs Yollis.

Mrs Yollis is agreat blogger.

From your blogging buddy,
    Liam 👿 😈