A Surprise from the Northern Territory!

On the holidays Mrs Morris was helping Miss Dwyer in the Northern Territory with her first class blog. Miss Dwyer used to live in Geelong and is friends with Mrs Sliwa who is a teacher at Leopold Primary School.

Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris also enjoyed getting to know some of Miss Dwyer’s students on the holidays through some commenting conversations.

What  a surprise everyone in 2KM and 2KJ got today when we received a package in the mail from the Northern Territory!

P1030452

There was a postcard from Jim Jim Falls in Kakadu National Park in N.T. and a book called”Cranky Crocodiles” by Steve Parish. Miss Dwyer said there are crocodiles near their school!

We enjoyed reading the book!

P1030447

We looked at the 3/4 Dwyer and 4 Francis blog and saw all the great things they were learning. Everyone loved their Voki.

Dwyer blog

We looked at Google Maps to find their school. It is a long way from Leopold Primary School to the top of the Northern Territory.

Leopold Girraween

When we got back from P.E. we noticed that Leo and his pet Lulu were also enjoying the book!

P1030454

Thank you Miss Dwyer!

Have you ever received a surprise in the mail?

Have you ever looked at Google Maps?

Do you know anything about the Northern Territory?

23 thoughts on “A Surprise from the Northern Territory!

1. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,

What a wonderful surprise from the top of Australia. I can see Leo is already enjoying the book.

I love surprises in the mail. I often enter competitions so I sometimes receive parcels.

Google Maps and Google Earth are wonderful programs. I have often used them for research and blogging.

While I haven’t been to Kakadu, I once drove some families in a 20 seater bus across NSW then north to Bourke then Mt Isa in Queensland before crossing into Northern Territory. We visited Tennant Creek, Alice Springs, Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) before heading south into SOuth Australia and back into NSW.

Keep blogging. It’s only Day 2 of the new term and your class blog is already very active.

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

• @ Ross Mannell,

Great comment.

I think Leo is enjoying the book too.

I think we are all very active to.

Great comment again.

Kind Regaerds,
      Hannah

2. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

What a really lovely suprise for you all to receive a gift from another wonderful blogging buddy.

When I used to have a pen pal in New Zealand we would ofter send each other parcels which was always fun.

I, wonder if anyone knows what famous Australian landmard is located in the Northern Territory.

From AA.

• @ AA,

The famous landmark in the Northern Territory is Uluru (also known as Ayers Rock). It is very big.

Keep up the great blogging!

From Mia

3. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

I loved the presents.

I have never had a package in the mail.

I have looked at google maps before I have looked at it at home.

I do not know anything about the Northen Territory, but one day I would lke to learn something about the Northen Territory one day.

Best Wishes,
    Hannah

• @ Hannah,

Graet blog comment.

I like the blog post too.

One day I would like to learn about the Northen Territory too.

I have been on Google maps before to look at the wold.

Graet comment again.

See You Tommorow,
      Mikayla 😆

4. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,

I would like to pass on my thanks to Millie. She had visited my story blog and left a wonderful comment. Millie is the first student to leave a comment on that blog even though the stories were written for primary aged children. 🙂

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

5. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Hello! We are the Techie Kids in Michigan, USA. We like your blog. We also like your mascot, Leo. Our school has a mascot too. His name is Lucky. He is a ring-tailed lemur. Maybe we can post a picture of him for you to see on our blog.

Many of us have received a surprise in the mail. Taciana was sent a book in the mail from her uncle. Kendall’s aunt sent her a birthday gift in the mail from Ohio. It was socks and sandals. Stephen’s uncle sent him a lego set from Disney World in Flordia.

We are wondering if any of you have ever been to Disney World.

We hope to talk to you more soon.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Moore and the 2nd grade Techie Kids

• Dear Mitchell,

Well, thank you very much! That is a very nice compliment. The book that was mailed to you looks interesting. The picture on the cover makes me think that I wouldn’t like to run into a Cranky Crocodile! I haven’t read this book before. Can you tell me your favorite part of the story?

Mrs. Moore

6. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

What a pleasant surprise! It’s always so nice to get your mail and find something like that inside. It reminds me of a time when you received a gift from your good friend Chicken who sent you a book called Cloudy with a Chance of Chicken.

It looks like Leo definitely enjoyed the book! What was your favorite part of it?

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr Avery, : cool:

Thank you for your fabulous comment.

It looks like chicken did not what to get eaten after all I would not go to the Northern Territory because I’m scared of crocodiles and I’m afraid that I might get eaten so chicken’s idea because he doesn’t want to get eaten either.
      Cloudy with a chance of chicken was ment to be cloudy with a chance of meatballs and I also found the movie in the movie shop.

Well I think Leo’s favourite part was when the crocodile was letting everyone in the river and my favourite part was the same a Leo’s.

I have read 5 Steve Parish books and they are all really great books and I also love animals and I might make a few books about animals because Steve Parish is a great author.

Have you read any book by Steve Parish?
      If so what was the stories called?

Have you ever made a story before? If so what was it called?

Good luck with your grade sixes and happy blogging and don’t forget to say to say” hi” to your grade sixes.

Your friend from Victoria Australia,
      Millie 😆

P.S I loved! Your rap you did about maths (Math)
      It was funny that you did a rap but it was good
      But I don’t think that’s going to be your only rap Mr Avery! And have fun.

7. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,

My friend Mr. Avery filled me in about your new post! It’s been a while since I’ve written in so I thought it was time I paid you a visit! I’ve been busy crossing roads all over the world! There’s a couple places I refuse to go to though. I WILL NOT visit any chicken restaurant. Now I was just about to head to the Northern Territory but then I saw your book called Cranky Crocodile. I don’t think a cranky crocodile and myself would make a good mix! I think I’d be dinner! Bawk Bawk!

Keep being good eggs and reading those books!

Sincerely,
    Chicken

P.S. See if you can figure out this riddle. What day is my least favorite day?

• Dear Chicken,

Thanks for the comment. Our names are Ryley and Jordi and were both from 2KM.

You least favourite day is Friday because it has the word Fri in it.

We would not like to see a cranky crocodile because it might eat us.

Have you read a Steve Parish book before? If so what was it called?

Thanks for the comment again!

Jordi and Ryley 😛

• @ Chicken,

Great comment.

I think your least favourite day is Friday I think Friday is your least favourite day because you do not want to get fried.

Great comment again.

Kind Regards,
      Hannah

8. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,
    We are so excited to see your blog theis morning! Miss Dwyer told us she had a surprise for us and we were so happy to see the surprise was a post about us on your blog. We have never had a post written about us before. We areexcited to meet you. We already have had a comment from Alana. We have an Alana too!

Thank you for your post. We would like to know some blogging tips please.

1. How did you get the screen shot of our blog homepage on your post?

2. How did you get a screen shot with the travel line from Google Maps?

We love Leo and his pet Lulu. We don’t have any lions at our school but we do have a working farm. We have chickens, potty calves, buffalo, ducks, a butterfly house, and lots of fruit and vegetables.

Thank you again for your post. We are excited to be friends.

3/4 Dwyer and 4 Francis

• Dear 3/4 Dwyer and Francis,

Thank you for your comment.

I can tell you the first tip.

You have to have Windows 7 to do it, but I can tell you it.

If you have Windows 7 you go on start and you you go on Snipping Tool, than you go on the internet. You will see that the screen will fade, just say I am on a blog I can see that that it has faded you will see a plus sign as the cursor. Then you highlight what you want. Then you copy it and you go on to Word to paste it in a document. Or you can save the snipping tool as an image on your computer and insert it on your blog.

Tip 2 is the same but you just use Snipping Tool on Google Maps.

I love Leo too, and Lulu.

Leo sure does sleep alot and I think Lulu wakes him up and tells him to play fetch with the tennis ball.

What are potty calves?

Do people at your school feed the animals as there jobs?

The butterfly house must be very, very hot!

Yum fruit and vegetables are my favourite.

Thank you for you comment.

Love from,
      Keira your blogging pal. 😆

9. Thanks Keira for your tips. We are going to practice this snipping tool this afternoon.

Your instuctions were very clear and easy to follow, thank you.

Potty calves are baby calves that will grow up to be

The butterfly house is no hotter than outside here in Howard Springs. Today was 39 degrees outside and very humid. We have 2 seasons. The Wet Season and the Dry Season. At the moment we say it is ‘build up.’ That means it is really hot and sticky all the time but wont rain to cool it off. The rain will start in a month or so and rain every day. Our school was surrounded by floods last year and a croc was roaming around outside. A ranger caught him so we we not in danger. We have Croc Safety lessons all the time.

Your pals,
    3/4 Dwyer

• Dear 3/4 Dwyer,

Your welcome 3/4 Dwyer and thank you for your compliment as well.

Thank you for telling me what they are because I had know idear what they were and now I know what there are.

Wow that must of been really hot!

Thank for your comment.

It has never been that hot at my school.

Love from
      Keira your blogging pal. 😆 :mrgreen:

10. Dear 2KM and 2KJ

it was reely funny how the boy in a difrent contry how he was vere exsited.

I was reely exsited when we all came back.

From Connor

11. Hi class,

My name is Andrea, I am currently studying primary school teaching at Charles Darwin University in Darwin, origionally I am from country Victoria. I am just about to finish as assignment on blogging in the class room. I will be focusing on healthy eating and exercise – I especially likes Annas blog about swimming and little athletics (i participated in the both as a child) But now I still play netball.
    What a great blog you have here, its such a great idea, I hope to when I finish my degree at the end of the year get a job and start something like this.
    Well done it looks great.

From all the way in Darwin – AH