This term 2KM and 2KJ are learning about dinosaurs.
Last week we enjoyed learning about the Triassic Period. It is the first period of the Mesozoic Era, which was the era of the dinosaurs. The timeline below shows all of the stages of the Mesozoic Era.
We learnt some interesting facts about the Triassic Period, including:
* All the continents were joined together as one huge continent, it was known as Pangaea.
* There were no dinosaurs at the start of the Triassic period, but there were many amphibians and some reptiles.
* The Triassic dinosaurs were much smaller than the dinosaurs of the later periods.
* The climate in the Triassic period was hot and dry, causing desert like conditions.
* The Coelophysis is probably the most well known Triassic dinosaur. They were small and fast and hunted in packs.
* In the late Triassic Period, the first mammals appeared. They were tiny, about the size of mice, and probably nocturnal.
* There was a mass extinction at the end of the Triassic Period and about 35% of animal species died out.
We created a poster to show profiles of some of the Triassic dinosaurs…