Food Safety and Storage

We are enjoying learning about food this term.

We have learnt all about healthy eating, the five food groups, different nutrients, the digestive track and where foods come from.

Today we learnt about food safety and storage. We learnt about “use by” dates, “best before” dates and where to store food safely. It is important to handle food safely and store it in the correct places to avoid accidents and any risks of food poisoning.

We watched these two presentations and discovered lots of interesting facts about food safety.

Here is Ebony and Ava looking at the “use by” and “best before” dates on milk, fruit puree, yoghurt and two minute noodles.

P1030015 

What did you learn about food labels and food safety?

Look in your refrigerator or cupboard at home and choose a food item. What is the “use by” or “best before” date? Where should you store it? 

Where do you store certain foods in your kitchen?

41 thoughts on “Food Safety and Storage

1. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I have enjoyed learning about food safety. We have a big pantry we keep our dry and canned food in. The cold food goes in the fridge. Our spices have been in the cupboard for a long time and we have found lots of them that are too old. Sometimes people forget to look at the dates on spices. I found the tomato sauce says keep in the refrigerator after opening – did you know that?

Warmly,
    Amelie

2. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,
    I was delighted to read your post about food and food safety as I was able to have a ‘text to self’ connection.

Both Mr W and I have worked in food processing factories where we have had to check use-by dates on foods that are going to be used to make other foods as well as foods that are waiting to go to shops.

Did you know that most processed foods have to have a minimum shelf life of 3 months for a shop to buy it in? Do you know why this is?

Last year when I moved house, I found a packet of milk dessert mix that was dated from 1985!! I knew that it was there and I am keeping it for a very special reason. Several years ago, a company ran a competition for ‘the oldest food in your pantry’. I’m wanting to win the next competition like that!

When I was at school, we didn’t have ‘best before’ dates and ‘use by dates’. Do you know why they are now put on foods?

Your blogging friend,
    Mrs W

• Dear Mrs W,

That was a great comment!

Hi, my name is Alana and I am in 2KM.

I do not no why there are use by dates, and best before dates if they weren’t on your foods.

Nice to hear from you,
      Alana

• Hi Flynn,
      It is great to see that you have been writing comments for your class blog from home.

I teach in a small rural school in Victoria, Australia. I have 10 students in my class who are in years prep, one and two.

My class has a blog just like your class. My class blog is listed as Mrs W and P-1 on the 2KM & 2KJ blogroll.

What is your favourite thing about blogging?

Your blogging friend
      Mrs W @ Harston PS

3. @ 2KM,2KJ,

At home we put eggs, grapes and meat in the fridge.
    We put peas,corn and broccoli in the freezer.
    We put school food in the cupboard.

Best wishes,
    Haille.***

• Dear Haille,

We put yoghurt, cream, tomato and eggs in the fridge.

We put icy-poles, bacon, peas and ice in the freezer.

We put school in the cuboard.

Your blogging buddy,
      Keira. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

4. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I think it’s a cool that you learned about food. I store most of my foods in my fridge and freezer. I have a couple of foods in my cupboard. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is chicken.

Love,
    Jalyn Techie Kids

5. Dear 2km, 2kJ

I like when I got to answer the questions about where to put each food itetm, and then you tell me if it is correct.

In Cub Scouts, I learned about the food triangle. One part on the triangle is dairy. Some dairy items are: milk, cheese, and ice cream.

What is your favorite dairy item?

Andrew

• @ Andrew

Thanks for your great comment.

My favourite dairy food is yoghurt.

Can you tell me some more foods that you like?

from your blogging buddy
      Liam

6. Dear 2KM and 2KJ

I loved the food safety video, and the labels part was so cool. I think that is amazing because in Cub Scouts we learned about food labels. Ice Cream goes in the freezer.

What is your favorite kind of ice cream?

Finn

• Dear Finn,

I liked your comment. It was cool!
      How long did it take you to do the comment?

My favourite kind of ice cream is strawberry. I really like to put Milo on top. Yum!

From Connor

7. @ 2KM & 2KJ,

What a great activity.

I learnt that you have to remove all jewelery and about the dates.

The use by date on my milk is 9 April, we keep our milk in the fridge of course.

We keep our eggs in the fridge but some people keep them in the cupboard. Where do you keep your eggs?

Sincerely,
    Jarr☀d

• @ Jarrod,

Your comment was great!

I ceape my eggs in the frig too.

We keep our milk in the fridge as well.

Best wishes,
      Mia

• @ Andrew and Mia,

You both are great bloggers!

Do you have anything in your cupboard that has a best before date of 2012 on it?

Sincerely,
      Jarr☀d

• @ Andrew,

Thanks for replying to me.

I looked in my cupboard too and I found tomato sauce and cordial with a best before date of 2012.

Sincerely,
        Jarr☀d 🙄

8. @ 2KM & 2KJ,

What a fantastic topic. As a food safety trainer I am always amazed at how little some adults know about food safety, storage and its importance, so it’s great to see it being taught in schools.

I have had many international students who come from countries where they don’t use electricity so having a fridge and a microwave is new to them and they have to learn how to use them. We are very lucky to have these pieces of equipment to ensure our food remains safe.

Keep up the great learning,
    Melane (Jarrod’s Mum) 😆

• @ Melane,

You are a real expert in the area of food safety and it was great to hear from you!

It is funny to think that things we take for granted like microwaves or fridges aren’t available all over the world. We are very lucky living in Australia.

The children have really enjoyed learning about how to be safe with food.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

• Dear Melane,

I too am amazed at the lack of general knowledge on food handling and storage.

I am part of a great team that provides doctors with answers to their patients illnesses, sometimes caused by eating food that has not been stored correctly. These people can be very sick, which shows the importance of correct food handling and storage.

Keep up the great job 2KM and 2KJ, enjoying keeping up with the class.

from,
      Amanda

9. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

You’re learning about some great things! The best before or use by dates are so important. The last thing you want to do is eat food that has gone bad!

I always check these dates on items at home and when I go to the store. I like to cook so I want to make sure all of my items are fresh. They taste best that way!

Now that I’ve learned what Aussie pizza is from Miss Jordan, if I order one and have leftovers, I’ll have to keep it in my refrigerator to make sure it doesn’t spoil. Then, I can eat more of it the next day!

Your friend,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr Avery,

Hi it’s me Millie in 2KM. 😆

There is a difference between best before dates and use by dates.

The best before dates means that it’s good to use them before that date but you can eat it after the date.

A use by date means it has to be used by the date. If it is not used by the day, the food will spoil.

What kinds of food do you have that have best before dates or use by dates?.

Your friend
      Millie :mrgreen:

• Dear Millie,

Nice to hear from you. I can tell that you definitely paid attention because you knew the different between the best before and use by date!

I have lots of different food and drinks that have best before and use by dates. Lots of different meats like chicken have them. I also love yogurt (yoghurt) and eggs and those have those dates on them. I also enjoy different drinks like milk and juice and those have them as well. I always make sure to check the dates on everything when I go to the store.

Thanks for writing me back!

Your friend,
        Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr Avery,

Thank you for leaving a reply to me. :mrgreen:

I have lots of stuff in my kitchen that have used by dates like milk, eggs, yoghurt and lots more. 🙄

Every time I go to the shop [store] I find heaps of used by dates and best before date I always like at the food.

In Australia we call a store a shop.

You blogging Friend
          Millie [2KM]

10. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Bbrrrrrr. It’s cold in here! It’s dark too! I’m inside of some big box with all types of food and drinks around me. I’ve been in here for about a week.

You may have seen me before. My name is Milk. I have one of those “use by” dates on me that you’ve been talking about. Mine says “30 March.” I certainly hope that I get used by then or I’m going to start feeling pretty sour about it!

OH! The box is opening! It just got really bright in here. Somebody just said, “we need to use this milk before it spoils.” I guess I have to go! Thanks for learning about how to best use food and drinks like me!

Your delicious friend,
    Milk

• @ Milk,

Thanks for your great comment.

I bet it would be cold in the fridge.
      It is great that you are in someone’s tummy now because you don’t want to be really sour :oops:.

I hope you have a great time in someone’s tummy.

Best wishes,
      Ava 🙄 :mrgreen:

• Dear Ava,

That was a very nice comment you wrote me. I always have a nice time in someone’s tummy. My favorite thing to do is make people happy and I’m pretty sure I make people happy when they drink me!

The best part about it is that I get to meet up with all my different friends again. I get to see chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and cereal! We usually always hang out together.

Thanks for writing me back. Sometimes it gets lonely in that dark fridge so it’s nice to hear from a friend!

Cold and delicious,
        Milk

• Dear Milk,

Your comment is funny because your a bottle of milk.

I want to know, how do you know how to type?

Instead of saying that your comment is funny, I think it’s great!

Warm Wishers,
      Meg in 2kJ

• Dear Meg,

That’s a great question. I actually can’t type at all! I just tell my good friend Mr. Avery what I want to say and he types it for me. It would be very difficult to type because I don’t have any arms.

Also, I don’t have a computer inside of the fridge and I only come out when someone takes me out. If I was out too long in that Australia sun, I’m pretty sure I would burn. Have you seen how pale I am? It’s very hard to slip, slop, slap, seek, and slide when you have no arms! So I just stay in here and hope someone drinks me by my use by date!

Your bottled friend,
        Milk

• Dear Milk,

I like your comment and it’s a bit funny.

One question, are you friends with Mr Avery because if he can type then why can’t you?

From Meg :*

11. Bawk. Bawk. Baw Bawk!

My name is Chicken but my friends call me Chook. My pal Milk told me he talked to you yesterday. He was in a sour mood this morning! His owners didn’t use him before his use by date. His mood went from good to bad in a hurry! Let this be a lesson to you. Finish your food and drink before the use by date! You DO NOT want to meet sour Milk!

What about me? Well, I’m never in a fowl mood. I’m always just happy bawking around. My friends actually tell me I’m quite the comedian. Tell me if you’ve heard this joke before!

Why did I cross the road?

I shouldn’t be crossing the road! I should be kept in the fridge or freezer so I can be nice and fresh!

I have to warn you though, I feel a cold coming on. I think if I don’t get used by the date that’s on my package, there’s a chance I might get you sick too! So do me a favor, before it hits that date, pour some barbecue sauce on me, cook me, and make sure you wash your hands before you eat me!

Bawk Bawk for now,
    Chicken (Chook)

• @ Chiken (Chook),

I bet that milk will be s☻ur for people to drink.

How do you type comments? Do you have a special chicken laptop?

How many freind’s do you have including Milk? What’s your use by date on your self?

I like to eat chiken.

Your friend,
      Jordi

12. Dear Chicken (chook)

Hi my name is Haille from 2KJ.
    That is right, Milk has been commenting on our blog.
    I would not like to taste sour milk.

I think your jokes were pretty funny.

Do you know a lot about food safety?

Best wishes,
    Haille.***

13. Dear Jasmine,

that’s a great comment.

Well I don’t no how to make a blog
    but you probably can ask your teacher
    she might know.

From Kayla ♥♥♥

14. Dear Leo,

I hope you know about cooking because if you don’t know what the rules are you can go crazy.

You best buddie
    Ryley

15. Dear 2km and 2kj,

Fantabulous post! Keeping food in storage is important because you don’t want to keep it out or it will turn old and get moldy. Especially fruits and vegetables. They will go bad in a week or two. If you keep food in a storage container for too long it will get moldy and old and go bad. You also have to be safe about food because you could eat or drink something you weren’t supposed to or something thats bad for you or for adults like wine. If you eat to much of something you could get sick.

Happy blogging! 😆

Yours truly,
    Amanda