Welcome Families! Tell us About Your Schooling

Today, Wednesday 23rd March, all students have invited a special person to our Family Blogging Afternoon.

The students in 2KM and 2KJ are teaching their special family member about blogging and quality commenting.

This blog post is for everyone at the Family Blogging Afternoon to comment on!

(Anyone else can leave a comment too of course)

★★★ What was school like for you? ★★★

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan are often telling the students in 2KM and 2KJ how things have changed in schools over the last few years.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan started primary school in 1987 (not at the same school!). They didn’t have any computers in their classroom until Grade Six.

When Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris were at school there was no Skype, interactive whiteboards, digital cameras, internet, blogs, email or iPods. They couldn’t make any connections with any classes overseas.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan first used the internet in Year 12 in 1999. The internet was very different back then.

When Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris were at school, they didn’t get to work in groups much and there was a lot of copying off the blackboard!

Some things about Miss Jordan’s and Mrs Morris’ time at school are the same as what 2KM and 2KJ do at school. They had classes like Music, P.E. and Art. They did lessons like Reading, Writing and Maths. They had Integrated Studies topics like Food and Dinosaurs. However, a lot has changed!

So much has changed even since Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris started teaching in 2004!

oldcomputers

Image: ‘Old computers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49503114775@N01/255241547

Parents, family members (and anyone else), please leave us a comment!

How is school today different to when YOU went to school?

Is there anything the same?

Do you think school is better now or in the past?

What do you think school will be like in the future?

48 thoughts on “Welcome Families! Tell us About Your Schooling

1. Dear 2KM & 2KJ,

When I was at school we had typewriters and only had computers when I was in year 12. There was no internet, or email, or facebook, or twitter and no bloggine either.

We had to hand write all of our work and correct it with an eraser!

School looks like much more fun now! 🙂

From Ryley’s Mum

2. Dear 2KM & 2KJ

Wow, what a wonderful resource the blog is for teaching and learning. When I went to school there were no computers or internet. I discovered the internet after I finished university which is a pity as it would have been so useful. School seems so much better now and much more relevant to our everyday lives. I look forward to seeing even more technology in school in the future as it can only make learning more fun!

Regards,
    Tricia (Amelie’s mum) 🙂

3. Hi Mrs Morris and Miss Jordon,

I remember when I was in grade 6 we got our very first computer in a little room at the back of our classroom.
    I think it would be much better going to school these days as we weren’t able to communicate with anyone around the world via computer back then.
    Leesa

4. Hello all.

I am Lee’s mum Kate and I am proud to be writing here and to be invied into your classroom and shown he wondeful work and new ideas that is taught.
    The schooling I had as a child was not near as exciting as this. I still learnt writing, reading, maths and of course sport. Oh yes my first year of school was when the national anthem was changed to Advance Australia Fair.

Thanks for allowing me to write to you all.
    Lee’s mum.

5. Dear Ms Jordan

I went to Leopold PS when I was in primary school but it was much different from what it is today. There were no computers at all and it was alot smaller than it is now. The original weatherboard schoolhouse was still standing. My dad, Hamish’s pa, went to Leopold PS also and had his classes in the old schoolhouse! School was great back then but I think it’s even better now with so many exciting things to do, like blogging. This is my first time writing a comment on a blog and Hamish has done an excellent job of teaching me what to do!

Have a great day,
    Coby

6. Dear 2km and 2kj,

When I was at school there were no computors we read lots from books and the teachers wrote on black boards.

Best Wishes,
    Sharron

• @ Sharron,

Why do you think that there were no computers or white boards?
      Did you get computers in grade six?

Warmly,
      Haille.***

7. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

Wow, what amazing conversations I am hearing between the students and their special person about quality commenting! There is so much chatter and excitement as the students explain what they have learnt about quality comments and blogging.

This was a great way for the students to show how much they have learnt. Great work 2KM and 2JK!

See you later,
    Mrs Gray

8. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

School is very different today compared to when I went to school, I started school in 1987 also and don’t remember having any computers in the class room before grade six.
    Sport was always fun and our teachers spent alot of time outside with us every morning before we sat down in class.
    The technology is definently better today than when I went to school, we had an open class room like yours and only two computers in it.
    I thinks schools will keep getting better and better every year and hopefully teach the kids as much as they can learn!

Yours Sincerely,
    Leisha.

9. I went to a lot of different schools when I was growing up. So I met lots of people and moved around a lot. School is different now than when I was at School because technology has advanced, everything I learnt I had to copy off the blackboard.Kids still have fun,meet friends and play sport at school just the same as when I was a kid. Things should always be better in the future and advance because in the future we always move forward. From Duane Mia’s Dad!:):roll:

10. Hi everyone in 2KJ and 2KM!
    Thank you SO much for inviting me to share in such a special afternoon, it was so great to see so many people here!
    I started school in 1983 when I’d just turned 5. So it was very different to school now. I remember first using a computer in grade 5 there was only 1 in the whole school and it was small, grey and the writing when you typed was green!
    We had PE, art and the same types of lessons like reading, writing and maths. You had to use a greylead pencil until you got your pen licence in grade 3. It was very exciting to get your pen licence! We didn’t learn by using interactive white boards or ipods, we learnt by copying things off the blackboard and when we wanted information, we had to find it in books, not on google!
    When I went to high school, instead of learning computers, we learnt typewriting! Up until year 9! I don’t think that happens anymore at high school!
    I think the way Charlotte is learning at school is wonderful. She is learning SO much and it will help her with all aspects of her schooling. Plus I know that she loves to blog and learn lots of different things about the world. So I think schooling today is much better than when I went to school.
    We think that schools of the future will include lots more interactive learning, lots more computers and hopefully lots of fun still!
    Sincerly,
    Charlotte and Martine

11. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,
    I actually started school in 1980 and i also came to Leopold Primary. As you can imagine things have changed alot since i was here. Not only are the buildings different but also the way the kids are taught. We certainly didn’t have intereactive white boards, computers or ipods just lots of blackbooards which we had to copy from. I think the way the children are taught now is fantastic and i would have loved to have had all this technolgy when i was a student. Flynn knows more about computers than i do! Mrs Sharp who still teaches at Leopold actually taught me when i was a little girl!
    I think that school is only going to get better in the future as the tecnology we use is also getting better.
    From Kelly (Flynn’s Mum)

12. Dear 2kj and 2km,
    The primary school I went to was a brand new school when i started there in Grade 2. There was no computers in our class rooms. We didn’t even have a computer room untill I got to High School. We had an Art room and a Music room and a Gymnasium, and of course we had a library. We copied all our work from a blackboard. We had one teacher who used to draw a different Garfield cartoon on our blackboard every week. I think classrooms are a lot more now than they were when I was at school.

13. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,

I started school in 1980, my school only had 6 computer for the entire student body of approximately 350 students. we weren’t allowed to use the computers until Grade 5 and then we only used them to play games.

I believe school today is similar to when I went to school back in the olden days (Liam said that). The biggest difference between the olden days and now is I think the teachers are much nicer now and computers and technology are used as tools to enhance learning as opposed to learning computer studies.

I think in the future technology will be further integrated into the school curriculum and students wll have access to virtual reality environments, which will enable them to look, feel and learn about new places and new ways to problem solve.

I hope you enjoy my comment, this is the first reply to a blog comment that I have ever made.

From Liam’s Dad Paul.

14. Hi Everyone,
    I went to Leopold PS when I went to school lots of years ago and I think the kids in 2KM 2KJ are very lucky as we didnt have any computers and you guys have lots
    See You Soon
    Wills Dad Ben

15. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,

I went to school at Leopold Primary School, a very long time ago. We used to drink warm milk under the trees outside buildings that are not here anymore. We did not have computers and we used chalk and blackboards on our knees some times. I was very lucky because I lived only 2 houses from the school, so I walked every day and could even go home for lunch sometimes. When I was in grade 1 we sat in a long corridor, which was where we had assembly and watched the moon walk (not Michael Jackson’s). We only had 2 buildings and there were probably less than 100 students then. I am only now learning to blog, skype and use the internet with Ella’s help. I still have a lot to learn.
    I think school is better now than when I was there, as kids get many broader experiences than we did, both in their community and around the world.
    I wonder if schools of the future will happen from home and people will meet over their computers. I hope not because I think it is great to meet people face to face as well.

Best wishes Catharina

16. Dear Mrs Morris,

I went to Schools in both South Australia and Victoria. It was very different back then. I Didn’t have a computer in my class room until grade 4, and we only had one to share. The class sizes were a lot bigger back then too. It was hard adjusting to school in Victoria at first because In South Australia lots of words are pronounced differently and we were taught to write in print not cursive.

I think the class blog is fantastic. I’ve heard Chloe talk about it often but it’s great to see first hand what you guys do.

17. @ Miss Jordon and class,

I am one of the students mum’s and I think the blogging is fun.

I think the idea of the children being able to interact with other people across the world is fantastic.

I had the older computers when I went to school compared to now; what has changed with school now is the computers are more faster and have better technology.

Im concerned with all the technology we have no time for play and activities.

I think in the future we will not have classes to go to it will be done on the intenet.

Warm wishes

Sharon and Sophie
    😆

18. Dear 2KM

I am one of the students nanna and I think that this blogging stuff is pretty good and I am hoping to learn a lot from my grandaughter Amelia.

I like the idea of the children being able to interact with other schools in different parts of the world.

School seems to be a lot noisier and the bell system is very different.
    Yes the smell of the class room is the same.
    I don’t think it’s any better I think it is very different.
    Maybe there will be no class rooms and learning will be done on line.

Looking forward to lots of interaction
    kind regards Amelia’s Nan Marg 😆

19. @ 2KM and 2KJ,

School is different today than when I went to school because we didn’t get to use computers so much and there was no internet and also the teachers wrote on blackboards with chalk.

Some things that are the same are we also had to wear a uniform and played out in the playground.

I think that school is definatly better today because of the advances in technology and access to a wider range of facilities.

In the future I think that there will be virtual classrooms with lots of people from all around the world. But there will still need to be playgrounds.

Cheers

20. Hello everybody, 👿

When I went to school my favourite subjects were Maths and P.E. I really enjoyed sport because we had gymnastics. There was no canteen at our school instead the local milkbar bought up our lunch orders on a Friday. We had a choice between a pie or a sausage roll and for the drink we could choose either a chocolate or strawberry Big.M.♦

I think school is exciting and better today for our children because they get to learn alot more about technology and the outside world via computers.

Warm wishes,☻
    Sarah (Jordi’s mum and Ava’s friend) :mrgreen:

21. @ 2KJ 2KM,

School is very different from when I went.
    No not realy.School is much better now.

Thank you,
    Molly and pa.

22. Dear Mrs Morrs
    Thank you for the invitation to see CONNOR at the computer.I Dont work with computers its very new to me.I like my Nanna because she is nice.When I go to her house she plays games with me.And she buys me Macdonalds.I donot eat it all.

From Connor and Nanna.

23. Hello Mrs Morris & Miss Jordan

Wow! I am a former Leopold student, around 1973 I started Prep through to Grade 6.

I have lived in Leopold majority of my life so I have seen many changes over the years, all for the good of course!

Bradley is thrilled that both he and I attended the same Primary School.

I wish you all the best with this modern technology, just hope I can keep up!

Cheers
    Sara (Bradley’s mum)

24. Hello 2KJ and 2KM,

Thank you for having me in your class today.
    Paris is teaching me how to blog, which is lots of fun. I started school in 1987, back then we didnt use computers until grade six.
    When I reached secondary school, in year 8, is when we started learning about the internet. The internet was then very basic compared to now.
    The things at school that are the same as when I was at school are: There was a canteen, lunch orders, a gym, art, sport, libary, friends and play, bike ed.
    The things that are different are: Internet, blogging, uniform (we didnt have a compulsory uniform untill grade 2). I think school is better now than in the past as the kids are learning some subjects at an earlier age than we did i.e computers. I think in the future the technology will be very advanced.

Thank you once again, and you are welcome to write me a comment if you have any quesions.

Best wishes,
    Donna (Paris’s Mum 2KJ)

25. Dear 2KJ & 2KM,

We had computers when I was at high school but they were different from today’s computers, they were huge! We learnt how to type on them. Eb and I love looking at the class blog at home. It’s amazing what you can do on them.

Happy Blogging everyone!

Kim – Eb’s mum

26. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I love showing my mum all the things we can do on the blog. My favourite thing to do on the blog is typing a comment.

Best wishes
    Eb

27. @ 2KM & 2KJ,

What a great topic. Things have changed so much in such a short time it’s scary how quickly.
    I think I was in about grade 4 when we got a computer @ home but all we could do was type or play games and we didn’t have any @ our school. In high school we had to learn to type on typewritters, how funny. 😆
    Our playgrounds we very basic and not as exciting as the ones @ LPS. I think it would be so much fun to be at school now with all the equipment.
    In the future school will be very fun with lots of new IT equipment and excellent playgrounds where the kids can have lots of fun.

Keep having and learn lots,
    Melane (Jarrod’s mum) 😎

28. Dear Mrs Morris,

I really liked the blogging afternoon! I like to use the laptop. It is geat fun! Mum liked it too.

Bradley

29. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I think I can remember this post when I was in Mrs Morris class. But it was a bit different. I think the title was a question like ‘’What was school like for you?’’ But it was for anyone.

I really liked the blogging hour after lunch and I hope everyone did as well as me.

I think that is good that you have lots of comments now. It is great. Lots of parents did a comment and lots of children did too. I think computers will be different in 20 or more years.

Your friend,
    Ash 3DD :mrgreen:

30. Dear Mrs Morris, Miss Jordan,

What a wonderful day you have all had teaching family members about blogging. From what I have heard it was a successful day. 🙂

I have enjoyed reading all the wonderful comments.

When I was at school I didn’t have no computers or IPods or telephones in the classrooms.
    For if a teacher or a student was needed to come to the office the whole of the school would hear it over the P.A.(loud speaker)
    So school has really changed a lot since I was at school. As a matter of fact I would love to be back at school right now.

From your blogging buddy,
    AA.

• @ AA,

Always nice to hear from you. I don’t think we had telephones in our classrooms when I was at school either. It seems funny to think about that now!

I bet you would be a great student if you were at school now, AA, as you love to learn!

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

31. Dear 2KJ and 2KM,
    It sounds like you all had a fantastic afternoon with your parents and teachers! I really like the idea of family blogging and I hope that you will be able to give me some advice when I choose a time for `Family blogging month’ in K/1D.
    School has definitely changed alot over the years!Just like your teachers I spent alot of time copying things from the chalkboard (I especially liked it when I got to `clean the dusters’. I used to stand out on the verandah and bang the chalk dusters together as hard as I could. Poof!! Chalk dust everywhere!). When I was at school I had never heard of an interactive whiteboard or a blog and I’m sure ipods were not even invented.:lol: I’m just glad that we have all these fantastic tools to use in the classroom now. I would never have connected with your class without blogging (and Ruckus the reading dog would have been very lonely without Leo as a buddy!)
    Keep up the great work.
    Ms Dowling
    (K/1D and Ruckus).

• @ Ms Dowling, K/1D and Ruckus,

I hope you do have a Family Blogging Month or Afternoon in K/1D!

I used to love cleaning the dusters too! I don’t think I’d like doing that job now though!

I read the other day that the iPod had just turned 10. How interesting!

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

PS – tell Ruckus that Leo is looking forward to skyping with him on the weekend when the boys and girls go home!

32. Hello 2KM and 2KJ,
    What a fantastic afternoon you have had.

I love the idea of a family blogging afternoon. I will have to arrange one for next term when my students have learnt more about how to write quality comments.

When Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan started school, I was in my last year of university!
    I didn’t have computers etc at school however I was very lucky as my parents bought a computer to use at home when I was in high school. These computers didn’t have programs or software like your computers do. We had to type in strings of commands into the computer which were then stored on computer tapes.

Technology in the classroom has also changed the way that teachers teach. I can see that in the future, computers and technology will be used more in classrooms. It will be very exciting to see what will happen by the time you finish your schooling.

Mrs W and P-2

• @ Mrs W,

It’s always nice to hear form you.

That’s funny that you were finishing uni when we were starting school! It’s great that we have “caught up” and we can now learn from each other.

I remember those computer tapes. How things have changed!

It will be interesting to see how things have changed with the grade twos are in year 12!

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

33. Dear Parents,

I really enjoyed reading through all your posts. It is funny to think how much school has changed over the years.

Lots of people remember copying things off the blackboard. Luckily we have more interesting and varied ways of learning these days!

In 2KM and 2KJ, we like to mix up the old and the new and use technology purposefully to enhance students’ learning.

We really appreciated you all coming in for the Family Blogging Afternoon and we hope to hear from you all again soon!

Best wishes,
    Mrs Kathleen M☀rris