Our Literacy Block

In 2KM and 2KJ, we spend two hours every day on our Literacy Block.

Literacy is so important. It means the ability to read, write, spell, listen and speak.

This is how we run our Literacy Block…

1. Blogging

We look at our class blog and check how many visitors we have on our Clustrmap (we start our Literacy Block by doing some maths!). We read our new comments and usually look at one of our blogging buddies’ blogs too. Through blogging we learn so much about reading, writing, spelling, communicating and more. It has so many benefits!

clustrmap

2. Independent Reading

We all read a “good fit” book to ourselves. That means a book that we can read, understand and meets our purpose and interests. At the moment we read for about 10 minutes but we’re working on building our stamina so we can read for longer. The best way for us to get better at reading is to practise, practise and practise our reading strategies.

independent reading

3. Reading Strategy

We all get together on the floor while our teacher reads us a story and shows us how to use a reading strategy. This week we’re focussing on the comprehension strategy, check for understanding. That means checking if you’ve understood what you’ve read after each page.

reading strategy

We keep our reading strategies and individual reading goals on our 2KM and 2KJ Reading CAFE Strategies bulletin board. This is a work in progress that we have just started! We will fill it up with lots of strategies that we have learnt by the end of the year!

4. Reading Groups

We work in groups on activities to help us with our reading, writing and spelling. Our taskboard tells us what we are working on each day. The names of our groups are Indonesian colours. We rotate through five activities during the week and also spend time with our teacher.

taskboard

Read to Someone: We read a “good fit” book to a partner. They then read their book to us. We have to practise, practise, practise to meet our goals! If we don’t have anyone to read to, Leo is always there to listen to us!

Work on Writing: Blogging is a fantastic way for us to practise our writing. We leave a comment on our class blog or one of our buddies’ blogs. An adult like Mrs Mullen or Mrs Gray helps us read over our comment.

Listen to Reading: We listen to a story on the iPod Touch. This week our story is Puss in Boots. We draw what we’re picturing in our heads while we listen.

Spelling: We practise our M100W, M200W or Spelling Challenge words. Our teachers show us a different way to practise our words each week. This week we are making triangle words.

Word game: Word games like Making and Breaking help us learn about sounds. This helps us with our reading and spelling.

Work with the Teacher: During reading groups our teacher meets with us individually to listen to us read and help us meet our reading goals. We meet with our teacher a few times each week.

work with teacher

We finish Reading Groups with share time where we talk about how we went trying out the reading strategy we talked about today.

5. Writing

The last part of our Literacy Block is writing. On Mondays we do journal writing about our weekend. Once a week we do handwriting. On the other days we do all sorts of different types of writing and our teacher shows us new strategies to help us improve our skills.

writing IWB

writing

What is your favourite activity in the Literacy Block?

What area of literacy are you good at? What do you want to get better at?

What do you like to read and write about?

62 thoughts on “Our Literacy Block

1. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

It sounds like you’re all very busy during your literacy block. Everything that you’re learning is very important though! Even though we live in a different country and are in a different grade/level, we still work on a lot of the same things!

One thing I wish that we had in our class are iPod touches. That must be really fun getting to listen to story and draw what you’re picturing in your head! That’s one thing that I teach my students when we are writing. We want to add details to let the reader picture the story!

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Avery
    Massachusetts, USA

• Hi Mr Avery,

Hi my name is Millie and I am in 2KM.
      It was nice that you left a comment for us. πŸ˜†

We might leave a comment on your class blog!

We love using our iPod Touches. Do you have iPod Touches in the USA?
      Are you allowed to have ipod touches at your school?

Good bye for now
      Millie:lol:

• Hi Millie,

Thank you so much for taking time to write back to me!

We do have iPod touches in the USA. My students are not allowed to bring their own but if teachers have them, we can use them in the classroom. I don’t have one but I would like to! I know my students would love listening to a story on one.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Mr. Avery

• Mr Avery,

Thank you for leaving a comment for me!
          We are very lucky to have some ipods.
          We are the only class that have ipod touches!
          We don’t use them just for fun.
          Dose any teachers at your school have ipod touches there?

Bye for now:lol
          Millie

• @ Sebastian & 3/4G,

Congratulations on starting a blog. I’m sure you’ll enjoy blogging as much as we do. We’ll have to check it out sometime.

We do recounts about our weekend. I bet you had fun at Scienceworks.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

2. Dear 2KM and 2KJ
    It’s great to see how busy you are in Literacy block, and that you spend lots of time on reading! We love reading too.

I also liked seeing how your block is structured.
    So, the way I understand it, you all Read to Self at the same time, have a strategy lesson, and then Read to Someone at the same time, then Work on Writing, Work on Words, and Listen to Reading, along with spelling and groups are all on the rotation.
    Am I right? It seems a great way to structure the block.
    Thank you for sharing.

from your friend
    Mrs McKenzie

• @ Mrs McKenzie,

We have adapted bits of Daily5 and CAFE to meet our needs and time constraints.

We do all do Read to Self at the same time every day but all the other areas (Read to Someone, Listen to Reading etc) we rotate through throughout the week. So the children do the activity for about 30 minutes once during the week.

We all do writing together after that.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your great comment.

Your friend,
      Mrs M☀rris

3. Dear Mrs Morris, Miss Jordan and students,

Wow you sure a learning a great deal.
    I really love the different elements of learning you are doing this year and for what I have seen and read you are all doing an awesome job.

I feel all areas of literacay is so very important. Important because when you read you become better at spelling and writing and your knowledge of words also become much greater too.

I love reading non fiction books.
    When it comes to writing I love writing on topics which appear on blogs which I enjoy visiting.

From your blogging friend,
    AA.

• Hi AA,

It’s me Millie from 2KM!

It was nice of you to leave a comment.

The literacy block is fantastic.

Bye
      Millie

4. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,

The Literacy block is fantastic:lol:

I like the reading that we all do
    What is your favourite thing to do is the Literacy block. :mrgren:

2km
    Millie

• @ Millie,
      that comment was a ripper.

My favourite thing to do to in the literacy block is leaving blog comments on our blog and our friends blogs.

We all are geting better each day.

What a great blog we have at school.

best wishes
      your frend
      Will
      I love school

• hi Will,

Thank you for leaving a comment for me. πŸ˜†

Why do you like leaving comments?

I love to comment on people’s blogs so I make them happy.

Bye for now πŸ˜†
        Millie

• @ Millie,
          Thanks for replying back to me.
          You sure have replyed back to lots of people.

My favourte thing to do in the literacy block is leaving blog comments on the blog.
          I have just got out of the class map we have got up to 2,278.

best wishes
          your frend
          Will

5. Pingback: Technicolor Dream Classroom

6. Hello Everyone, I live in Aotearoa and I myself am a student, but not quite the same as you. I am learning just like you all are, the difference is that I am learning how to be a teacher. I have four children myself who all go to school, so I understand just how important it is to make learning interesting. Can you tell me please what are some of the things that make your learning interesting, the things that you get excited about and can’t wait until you get home to share with someone outside of your classroom. Could you also please tell me what part of your exciting literacy block do you enjoy the most and why. I hope that I can learn from you to make my classroom (when I get one) a really super learning place. Thank you

• Hi Sandy,

Some interesting things I like to do are
      skyping with people all around the world and also blogging with other classes, that’s really interesting for me
      :mrgreen:.

Something else I like to do is going on the Interactive White Board that’s really fun πŸ˜† oh I almost forgot to
      say that another thing I like to do is
      replying to people that ask us questions.

Talk to you soon
      Ava 😎

• Thank you Ava. I have not had the opportunity to work with a whiteboard yet but my own children tell me they are neat to use. You tell me they are fun but what is it that makes them fun, is it because they are big and white,or they are easy to write on, or what you write can be saved and shared,or you can watch you tube on them. Thank you for sharing your ideas with me.

• @ Sandy,
          A interactive white board is like a really big computer. You can go on the internet and
          like you asked you can go on youtube and also Skype. You can also write with a special pen and watch movies.
          If you draw a piture on there
          or type somthing it sure can be saved.

Talk to you soon
          Ava πŸ™„

• Hi Ava,

Its Quinn and Jarrod. We like your blog comment.We like Skyping to you. Do you like everything also?

Quinn and Jarrod 😎 :mrgreen:

7. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,
    Wow! What fantastic ideas for improving your literacy! I love the way you are using your blogging skills to improve your writing. My school is trying to use blogs too. Do you make you’re writing into e-books? You can even put them into your blogs and they look fantastic! Here’s one by Paige at my school http://www.wybournlearning.com/blog/?p=41

Anyway keep up the good work (and the teachers too!)

Mr Wood (@ideas_factory on Twitter)
    Deputy Head

Wybourn Community Primary School
    Sheffield
    United Kingdom

• @ Mr Wood,

Thanks for your great comment. It is nice to hear from you.

We haven’t made e-books before however I checked out Paige’s work and I think we’d love to make some! Thank you for the idea πŸ˜€

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

8. @ Mrs Morris

“I am really enjoying Our Literacy Block.”

“You Leave Really good comments”

“I am having a Great time at School!”

Hope you had a great weekend.

Sincerely,
    Logan.

• @ Logan,

Thanks for leaving us a comment! I liked hearing your compliments and I am so glad you’re enjoying school.

I hope you are having a nice l-o-n-g weekend too! πŸ˜†

Your teacher,
      Mrs M☀rris

9. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Thank you for sharing your literacy block – I came across a link to it through one of my colleagues on Twitter! I am looking forward to sharing your classroom blog and how it is incorporated each day into your literacy block. What a powerful, real world use of writing and reading you are experiencing as you reach out to writers and readers across the globe!

I am a Principal in Massachusetts which is in the northeast region of the United States. I am curious how long your school day is – 2 hours of literacy each day is such a blessing!

Have a fabulous Friday!

Ms. Vincentsen

• @ Ms. Vincentsen,

Thanks for visiting our blog a and leaving us a comment!

Blogging has so many benefits. One of the main reasons we blog is because it helps us improve our literacy skills, however there are many more benefits which I have talked about on my own blog here.

We have a friend in Massachusetts called Mr Avery! He has a great blog too.

Our school day is from 9am – 3:30pm with 5 hours of class time. We usually do literacy for two hours, maths for one hour, integrated studies (like social studies) for one hour and then we spend another hour on specialist classes like art, library, music, P.E. or assembly etc.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

10. Dear 2KM & 2KJ,

Lots of terrific reading and writing ideas… I especially like the way children’s writing helps them with reading.
    Leo looks like a good listener – in our room we have Tim Tam Tiger and he loooves to hear children read.

Coral

• @ Coral,

Thank you for your comment.

Tim Tam Tiger sounds like a great friend! It’s always good to have someone to listen to our reading. The more we practise, the more we improve!

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

11. Hello Miss Jordan, Mrs Morris and class,

Nice post!

I love literacy! It is fun!

I love to read Harry Potter books and write about exciting things that happen.

My blog address is skyessuperblog.global2.vic.edu.au if you want to check it out.

Happy Blogging,

Skye

• @ Skye,

So nice to hear from one of our 2010 ★ bloggers!

I haven’t read Harry Potter but I know Miss Jordan has.

I will update the link to your new blog now.

Best wishes,

Mrs M☀rris

12. Hi 2KM and 2KJ, Your literacy block looks well organised with good variety to keep it interesting. One of the great things I like about blogging is it makes us very careful to use correct spelling and punctuation. When my students realised they were now writing to a world wide audience they realised what they wrote really did matter.

• @ Mrs H,

Thanks for stopping by.

We like to make our Literacy Block varied to help students improve their skills and to make it fun and engaging for all of us.

Miss Jordan and I talk about writing quality blog comments every day. Spelling and punctuation is so important! We’ve already seen the students’ writing improve through blogging.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

13. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I really like the literacy block because it’s not boring.

My favourite activity in literacy is working on the computers.

I’m good at reading the books by myself but I need to get better writing smaller.

I like to read I spy fly guy books and I like to write on the blog.

What is your favourite activity in literacy?

Sincerely,
    Jarrod 😳

• @ Jarrod,

Thanks for your comment. I’m glad you don’t think the Literacy Block is boring.

I know it can be boring if you do the same thing all the time for a long time. Miss Jordan and I think the Literacy Block is good because we get to lots of different things. That makes it interesting for everyone.

That is a good goal about writing. Keep practising and you will get there!

I like working on the computer too…but I guess you already knew that!

Best wishes
      Mrs Mβ˜€rris

• Dear Mrs Morris,

Your comment is great and you are a great teacher.
        Yes we think your right about going on the same post,
        Best Wishes,
        Quinn and Jarrod :mrgreen:

14. Hi Mrs Morris,

Wow 😯 the blog is getting better and
    better.

on the reading block my favourite thing i like
    to do is going on the computers. Because it is really fun. It looks i have to go bye. πŸ™„

• @ Ava,

Thanks for leaving a comment on the blog.

Please remember to always have an adult check your comment before you submit it. πŸ˜€

I like going on the computer too! I’m glad you’re enjoying the Literacy Block.

Best wishes,
      Mrs Mβ˜€rris

15. @ Miss Jordan,

I like doing the literacy block a lot,
    the parts I like the most is going on the blog and reading.

I like going on the blog because I didn’t go on the computer before.

Best wishes,
    Haille.

• @ Haille,

Thanks for your quality comment! I am glad you are enjoying the Literacy Block. I think it’s great too!

I wish I could have done a Literacy Block like this when I was at primary school!

You are learning many new skills about blogging, keep up the great work. πŸ™‚

Your teacher,
      Miss Jordan

16. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,

We love visiting your blog! We hope to get more people involved in our blog like you do!

You’re literacy block sounds great! We also do 2 hours in the morning. We focus on spelling, our non fiction writing program – we’re about to start persuasive writing, grammar and reading.

What’s your favourite activity to teach?

From 3/4G
    πŸ™‚

17. Dear Mrs Morris,

I love the literacy block, especially using the ipod touch in reading group time. I got an Ipad this weekend and am enjoying learning how to use it. Do you have one?

From Amelie

• @ Amelie,

Thanks for your nice comment.

I’m glad you enjoy using the iPod Touch. We’re very lucky!

You are so lucky to have an iPad! I don’t have one but Miss Jordan and I are thinking about getting one when the new version comes out. We think it would be useful for work and fun.

What do you like to do on your iPad?

Best wishes,
      Mrs Mβ˜€rris

18. Hi everyone in 2KM and 2KJ,

I loved reading about your literacy block because reading and writing are my favorite things to teach. If you are a good reader you will always have something fun to do.
    I’m very interested to hear about your Reading CAFE Strategies Bulletin Board. I’ll definitely come and visit and have a look for myself.
    I’m very glad to hear that you are practising visualising as you read. It’s the most important thing I think!
    Did you like Juan Pablo’s video about clarifying -when your head get’s all mixed up like a milk-shake-and the one about making connections? We loved them in 3DD.
    Keep up the hard work,
    from Mrs de Vries

• @ Mrs de Vries,

Thanks for your great comment.

You should come and check out our Reading CAFE Strategies Bulletin Board. It is a great place to display all the reading strategies we’re learning about as well as our reading goals.

Miss Jordan and I have done lots of research into the Daily5 and CAFE models and we’ve adapted bits of these to suit our classroom needs. Check out Miss Jordan’s post about our model here.

We love Juan Pablo’s video about making connections. He really helps us learn!

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

19. Hi Mrs Morris,

My favourite healthy foods are cherries, apples,
    bananas, pineapple and yoghurt.

I love the blog it is awesome! At the end of the
    year I hope I get my own blog.

Blog to you soon
    Ava :mrgreen: πŸ™„ πŸ˜† 😯

20. To Leo.
    You are the best lion ever.
    You and I have lots of things in comen, like you’re in grade two as weland you like reading.
    From Georgia in Mrs W’s class

• Dear Georgia,

Thank you for your comment!

I’m glad we have lots in common. Reading is so much fun. I love living in a classroom because I always have so many books to read!

Best wishes,
      Leo πŸ˜†

21. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

Hi everyone I am still a litte bit sick. Thank you for your letter Miss Jordan was lovely.

I spend most of my days in bed sleeping or watching T.V. I have to take lots of medicine which are yuck.

I miss everyone and cannot wait to get back to school.

best wishes,
    from Eb

• @ Eb,

It is lovely to hear from you! Everyone in 2KJ and 2KM misses your smiling face. We hope you start feeling better soon!

I’m glad you’re relaxing and hopefully there’s some good things on TV for you to watch.

Take care of yourself Eb!

Best wishes,
      Miss Jordan

22. @ Mrs Morris,

I like doing the literacy block a lot!
    I like reading, blogging, I enjoy learning about comprehension and accuracy so far.

Wise wishes,
    Haille.β™₯β™₯β™₯

23. @ Mrs Morris,

I like going on the literacy post!

I like playing with my dog, going on the blog and reading.

I really like your post you made.

Best wishes
    Keira and Will.

24. Hi Millie,

Thank you so much for writing me back again! Are you sure that you are only in grade 2? You’re a great writer. I would think you’d be much older!

No teachers in my school use iPod Touches. Some teachers use them at home but none in the classroom. I am hoping to get a couple for my room sometime soon. What is your favorite story that you have listened to or game that you have played on the iPod Touch?

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Avery
    Massachusetts, USA

• Hi Mr Avery,

Hi it’s me Millie again.

Thank you for repliying to me
      Yes I am in grade two.

I am 7 and my birthday is in Jan…
      Some people have iPod touches.

I like the Flat Stanly series and my favourite game is Mario Brothers you have to save princess by going up levels.

No I have not played a game on a iPod touch before but I have used one before.

Your Blogging Buddy,
      Millie :mrgreen: (2KM)
      πŸ˜†

25. Hi 2KM and 2KJ,
    I think your blog is great! Our class made pancakes
    on Pancake Tuesday. The best thing about our class is,that we have great teachers.What is the best thing about your classroom?
    From Viduni

• @ Viduni,

Thanks for your comment.

I love pancakes and we sometimes make them on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day). This year we had people from the Lion’s Club come and make them for us before school.

My favourite thing about our classroom is our two IWBs.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris

26. @ Miss Jordan & Mrs Morris,

Wow we have more people who visits the blog than we wanted yay!
    I hope we get lots more comments this year.

Warmly,
    Haille.

27. Dear 2KJ and 2KM,

We like the interactive white board in Literacy.
    We also like the Ipod and computers.

Kayla,Keira and Keira’s Nanny. β™₯β™₯β™₯

28. Dear 2KM and 2KJ,

I love to read. Do you like to read? I like to read Flat Stanley. Do you like Flat Stanley? I love Flat Stanley.What subject do you like? I like Math

Beth

• @ Beth,

Thanks for your comment. We all love to read in 2KM and 2KJ and the Stanley books are very popular. I like maths too. What do you like doing in maths? counting, addition, multiplication or something else?

Hope to hear from you again.

Best wishes,
      Mrs M☀rris