Leo Asks About Quality Commenting

Hi, my name is Leo and I am 2KM and 2KJ’s class mascot!

I am right there alongside my friends in 2KM and 2KJ as they learn lots of new things and I am having so much fun being in this wonderful class.

I just ♥ to collaborate with all my blogging buddies around the world. In fact, I ♥ school so much that I sleep there every night!

To find out more about me, you can visit my very own page on the blog.

This week the students in 2KM and 2KJ have been learning about quality commenting. I have been a bit busy sleeping and skyping this week and I haven’t been paying close attention! Whoops! 😳

Juan Pablo and Mr Salsich gave me the idea of making my very own video so the students can help me out. The students in 2KM and 2KJ and I ♥ watching Juan Pablo’s videos.

Listen to my video and then help me by leaving a comment!

Go on, leave a comment now and help Leo out!

If you need a hint, check out this page on our blog for some tips.

53 thoughts on “Leo Asks About Quality Commenting

1. Hi Leo. What a fabulous video you made – well done! Commenting on blogs is a great thing to do because it’s like having a conversation with the writer and telling them how you feel about what they wrote.

Good quality comments always mention something specific that you noticed or liked about the blog. And it’s very important to make sure you read your comment through before you post, otherwise it might not make sense.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more videos and posts from you in the future!

Mrs Light

• Dear Mrs Light,

Hi my name is Millie and I am in 2KM. I live in Leopold. Thank you for your comment to Leo, you gave him some great tips 😆

We are doing quad (four) blogging with 3 other classes around the world. It is funny getting to know our blogging friends.

What grade do you teach?

Millie (2KM)

2. @ Leo,

I loved your video and I always wondered what you got up to when we weren’t in class.

To write a quality comment you need to first write something nice, then you have to write about the post and answer any questions that have been asked. You also have to reply to anyone that has left you a comment or said something nice about you.

Sometimes in 2KM or 2KJ you can get your own blog but not everyone is able to. To get your own blog you need to write lots of quality comments, maybe you’ll be lucky enough to get your own blog.

See you in class,
    Jarrod 😈

• @ Jarrod,

Thank you for your tip and I notice you have a great avatar next to your name now. You and your mum sure love learning new things. It’s great!

I really like your tips. They are going to help me out a lot.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan told me that last year, some of their best blogging students started to get their own blog in Term Three and Four. We are only in Term One but lots of the students are really enjoying learning about blogging. Hopefully, later in the year we’ll have some student bloggers in our class. I wonder if I will get my own blog? I will have to keep practising my comment writing!

Your friend,
      Leo

3. @ Leo,

Quality commenting is a comment that makes sense and it has no mistakes.

Hope that helps Leo!

See you soon at school!

Your friend in 2 KJ

Charlotte!

• @ Charlotte,

Thank you for your comment. I try not to make mistakes but sometimes I have to ask an adult to read over my comment before I submit it just to be sure.

See you on Monday!

Leo 😀

• @ Jacob,

Thanks for your comment. It is too hard to choose who my favourite friend is! I probably have 5 best friends

– Juan Pablo and Perezoso from Mr Salsich’s class
      – Panda and Hoppy from Mrs Yollis’ class
      – Quicksilver the Kea from B4

Your pal,
      Leo

4. Dear Leo,

So wonderful to hear your having fun with your blogging buddies around the globe as well with your new students.

You sure have been busy learning about blogging. When you are a mascot like yourself you must set a good example and guide for your new students the correct way of blogging and commenting which from what I can see you already have. Well done Leo. 🙂

Now you asked an very interesting question about a quality comment. Firstly have an open greating and make when writing your comment you are writing back a comment about the bloggers post.
    Maybe add some extra information you might know about the post or even ask some questions.
    Then sign off.

Hope, you like my suggestions of writing a quality comment Leo?

From AA.

• @ AA,

Thank you for your kind comment. I am sure having fun in 2KM and 2KJ! I’m glad you think I’m being a good mascot so far. Except for my sleeping 😳

Wow, your tips really helped me a lot AA. You must know a lot about blogging!

I know 2KM and 2KJ always love reading your comments to learn about quality commenting.

Your pal,
      Leo

5. Dear Leo,

I really liked your video.

It was awesome!

Why were you shy?

Quality comments have to make sense.

Your blogging buddy,

Lee[2km]

• @ Lee,

Thank you for your quality comment. I like the way you gave me a compliment, added some new info and asked me a question!

To answer your question, yes I was pretty shy when I was making the video but because I made it in the middle of the night, there was no one around!

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend.

Your friend,
      Leo

6. Dear Leo,

It was great Skyping with you the other night. It’s good for us mascots to stick together and learn from each other, just like the students learn from their blogging buddies. Did you hear the news? B4 has a new mascot! It’s a kea, but I’m not sure what the name is yet. I voted for the name Pachupichu because, well… names with P in them just sound cool.

Anyway, I’m still learning about quality comments myself but I think one of the most important things is to write a comment that compliments the post in a specific way and maybe adds a new idea onto the subject of the post. Of course, it’s always good to write the comment as a friendly letter with correct spelling and punctuation. I hope that helps!

By the way, have you ever actually tried flies? Hmm, mmm! They are scrumptious. My favorite is flies with a little salsa on top – Spicy! But maybe since you like chocolate you’d prefer chocolate covered flies. You know, that actually sounds pretty good. I think I’m going to go try some right now.

Bye my friend!
    Juan Pablo

• Dear Juan Pablo,

You’re right. Us mascots have to stick together! I bet you don’t find it hard to stick 😆

Oh I heard all the students talking about B4’s new mascot (although I was asleep when they looked at the blog post and voted on the name). I heard that 2KM and 2KJ voted for Charlie, although I agree with you, Pachupichu is a fun name!

Compliments are something I have been hearing a lot about. Sometimes the students give me a compliment like, “Leo, you are so cute!” it makes me feel good. I know your students love giving you compliments too!

Well, I haven’t actually tried flies but now you mention chocolate covered flies, I am tempted! Mmmmm chocolate…

Adios Amigo!
      Leo

PS – want to catch up on Skype tonight? I have the classroom to myself until Monday, woo hoo! 😆

7. Dear Leo,

I am a teacher in Ontario, Canada. I was very happy to come across your blog post. It’s very important to share quality comments. My class also has a mascot named Gill the Goldfish. He likes to blog too! He sometimes blogs on this site: http://www.langwitches.org/blog/travel/teddybearsaroundtheworld/
    You might be interested in joining this blog!

You might also be interested to know that Gill just left us today to visit a class in Australia! We’re so excited. You can follow our mascot’s adventures at this site:
    http://gillthegoldfishgoesglobal.wikispaces.com

I was so impressed with your ideas for writing a “good quality comment”. I’m going to show your post to my class next week. Maybe they’ll blog about quality comments on our own class blog site. You can check it out here:
    http://kidblog.org/Gill-Ville2010

There’s one thing that I’d like to add to your list of features of quality comments… I like to include a question in my comments to encourage the blogger to write back to me or to get them thinking about related ideas.

How do you feel when you get a “quality comment” on your blogs?

From your new Canadian fan,
    Ms. Gill

• @ Ms. Gill,

Thank you for your comment.

It sounds like you enjoy being part of lots of global projects, just like 2KM and 2KJ.

Thank you for the links to your sites. They look terrific!

When I get quality comments on my blog I feel so happy! 😀 It really helps me have a conversation with all my friends. Your question idea was a good one too. Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan always like to end their posts with questions too.

From your Australian friend,
      Leo

8. Dear Leo
    Hi, I want to introduce myself – I am Quicksilver the Kea. Oh, I better say I am from B4, it’s always polite to say which class you are from!

I’ve been listening to the children in B4 talking about quality comments this week and they seem to think that you should read the comments others have made and try not to repeat them.

They also learned some friendly ways to close their comment.

Oh, by the way, I’m with you about the flies, not for me! But I would be happy with a juicy huhu grub. It doesn’t even need to have chocolate. Want one?

your pal
    Quicksilver the Kea

• Dear Quicksilver,

Wow, you have your name! Quicksilver….I like it!

Thank you for saying where you are from. When people leave a comment and don’t say where they’re from I get a little confused!

What a good tip about reading others’ comments. I hadn’t thought of that! I will try to remember that tip.

What is your favourite way to close a comment, Quicksilver?

Juicy huhu grub? Are you crazy? 😯 Oh I forgot, I have to be polite online.

Well Quicksilver, I’m sure those grubs are ….. delicious ❓ ❗

Great to meet you. You should get on Skype with Juan Pablo, Panda and me on the weekend!

Your blogging buddy,
      Leo

• @ Leo That was a quality

Comment. I reckon that was the best quality comment!

I really like the page you made.

Did you really skype with Juan Pablo?

Best wishes,
        Keira.

9. Dear Leo,

Snowflake was so please to meet you the other day.

She has not written a comment as yet! However she loves all these wonderful suggestions.

Snowflake did mention to write a quality comment it is always nice to reply back.

Your new pals,
    BB and Snowflake.

• @ BB and Snowflake,

It is always nice to hear from you. You two seem to know a lot about quality commenting. You must always pay attention at school!

I bet when Snowflake starts to write her own comments she will be a pro!

I think you’re right, I always like it when people write back to me. It makes me feel like they appreciate my comment.

Your pal,
      Leo

10. Dear Leo,

The blog that you made was great.

I really, really, really love your video you made!

You are a really good lion.

You learn a lot from us.

Best Wishes,
    Flynn

• @ Flynn,

Thank you for your compliment. That made me feel good!

I do learn a lot from you all in 2KM and 2KJ. You are great classmates!

Your pal,
      Leo

11. Hi Leo,

when your sleeping do you think of quality comments?
    And why dont you pay close attention?

Now you have a new best friend why not start to write comments to you new best friend.

bye for now

Millie

• @ Millie,

Yes, when I am sleeping I dream about commenting! I don’t pay close attention because….well…..sometimes I just fall asleep! 😳 I should go to bed earlier but I’m often on Skype. You see, it is day time in the USA when it is night time here! So I stay up to talk to my blogging mascots in Mrs Yollis’ and Mr Salsich’s class.

Your pal,
      leo

12. Dear Leo,

A Quality comment is a comment that makes sense, and has a greeting at the start.
    At the end of a Quality comment it always has a closing,hope that helps you.

Best wishes,
    Haille.

• @ Haille,

Thank you for your comment. You gave me three great tips that are really going to help me out. Thank you!

Have a nice weekend.

Your pal,
      Leo

• @ Leo,

I’m happy that helps you but I’m sure that there is more than three tips for a Quality comment.

Best wishes,
        Haille.

13. Dear Leo,

Yes, I do enjoy a few sticks of bamboo from time to time…perhaps I’ll try it with a chocolate ice cream scoop like Leo mentioned! MMMmmmm! And maybe a cherry on top! Here in California, they eat a lot of sushi…maybe I’ll see if they have a bamboo flyroll next time I’m at the Panda-rific Sushi Bar! Maybe even a chocolate covered bamboo flyroll with ice cream and a cherry on top! Juan Pablo would certainly love that too! Yes, that’s what I want…

Wait a minute…I am way off topic! The topic is…quality commenting. Focus, Panda, focus!

Here are a few tips that no one has mentioned:

Tip #1 Stay on topic! (I guess I’m still working on that!)

Tip #2 Use only one exclamation mark. If you are really excited, use more words…not more exclamation marks!

Tip #3 Don’t capitalize every letter in your comment. When you capitalize all the letters, it means you are yelling. For example, I WANT A CHOCOLATE COVERED BAMBOO FLY ROLL! ☺

Tip # 4 Always proofread before you publish! Otherwise, people might not know what you are trying to say!

Panda

P.S. Leo and Juan Pablo, I’m in for the Skype call this weekend! The kids are leaving at 2:21! Call me!

• Dear Panda,

Thank you for writing me a comment. I hear you’ve been helping Mrs Yollis’ students learn about quality commenting for many years. You sure know a lot about it!

I’m glad you reminded me about the exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!! 😳 Now I know that lots of exclamation marks looks a bit silly. 2KM and 2KJ have noticed that when they read books the author doesn’t use lots of exclamation marks but they do use lots of interesting words! I am starting to realise that you can learn a lot about writing by doing lots of reading.

I didn’t realise all capital letters meant shouting. I will have to remember that. THANK YOU!

Panda, I’m going to have to go now because all your talk of a chocolate covered bamboo flyroll with ice cream and a cherry on top is making me hungry! I’m off to make a snack.

Catch you on Skype soon,

Your pal,
      Leo

14. dear Leo,

Well you can’t stay up all night skyping with your friends!

When Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan go home do skype with your friends?

You should go to bed at 8.00

Today I had a busy day I should get some rest.

your pal
    Millie

• Dear Millie,

Ok you’re right. I should try to get to bed by 8pm. Yes, when Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris go home I usually wake up and get on Skype. Have you noticed Miss Jordan’s interactive whiteboard is fading? Well, that is because I’m always using it to skype! 😳 Shhh, don’t tell the teachers!

It is nearly 6pm so I am going to get some dinner and then go to bed in two hours!

Your pal,
      Leo

• hi Leo,

I go to sleep for 12 hours :mrgreen:
        if you go to bed a 8pm you want be asleep all the time.

What is your favourite thing about quality comments and why?
        ♥ Millie

• @ Millie,

Thanks for your comment.

My favourite tips for quality commenting is to proofread your comment.

I am going to try to go to bed earlier. I have been awake all weekend while you’ve been away from school! I think I’ll be sleeping all week.

Best wishes,
          Leo

15. Dear Leo,

Thank you Leo for all the information about quality comments. We learned very specific information that we have used in our own quality comment guidelines.

Our class has 2 questions for you. What is your favorite part about working with Mrs. Morris’ class? Also, is it easy to use Vimeo to make a video?

Kind regards,
    Noah and Mrs. Martinez’s class

• @ Noah and Mrs. Martinez’s class,

I’m glad the students helped you figure out how to write quality comments. I am a lot let confused now too due to their advice!

Thank you for asking me some questions.

My favourite thing about working in 2KM and 2KJ is getting to blog every day and I also like to Skype! Last week we skyped with Mrs Yollis’ class….but I fell asleep! I will try to stay awake when we skype them again this Wednesday!

As for your other question, I didn’t actually make the video on Vimeo. Vimeo is just like YouTube so it is the place where I uploaded my video. YouTube is blocked here at school.

I have a question for you. What state/country are you in? I’m guessing the USA?

Well, I better get going….I think it’s time for some ice cream! 😆

Your blogging buddy,
      Leo

• Hi Leo,

Thank you for answering our questions. We appreciate you getting back to us quickly. We were suprised to find out that Vimeo is similar to Youtube, that is really cool.

You did guess right, we are from the United States. We are located in Arizona.

We have some more questions for you. What is Skype and how do you use it? We also want to know what your favorite types of ice cream is? Our last question is, how do you get those different smiley faces on the screen?

Talk to you soon,
        Noah and Mrs. Martinez’s Class

16. Dear Leo,

Great post! I think your so cute in the video! ;]
    I know some ways to leave a quality comment:

You should always write your comment like a letter by including a greeting, body and a closing.

Try to always use correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and spacing.

Compliment the writer in a specific way,
    ask a question or add new information.

Your comment should always connect to the post not something else.

Always read over your comment when your done to make sure you didn’t miss spell any words.

Thanks for a great post! ;]

Amanda
    In Mr. Salsichs class

17. Dear Leo,

A quality comment is
    do not reveal any personal information.
    and Always read over the comment and edit
    before submitting. Write a relevant comment that is
    related to the post. Write your comment like a letter by
    including a greeting, body and a closing.

Autumn
    in Mr .Salsich’s class.

18. Dear Leo,

That was a very good post. Is that the first time you made your very own post ? If it is you did great! 🙂 I want to share some tips for writing a quality comment.

You should always make sure you are spelling things right. If the word you spelt is under lined in red it might mean you spelt the word wrong but if you wrote a name it probably means that it just doesn’t recognize it.

You need to check to see if available words are spelt right.
    You might have already learned this but available words are when a word you include in your writing is right in front of you.

Maggie in Mr. Salsichs class 🙂

19. Dear Leo,

There are many good ways to write a quality comment.

I think I can help you.

One way is that you should write a comment like a letter. That means on the top you address the person at the top, write the main subject in the middle, and at the bottom you say your name. But, when you write your name, only do your first name or you can go by Mr. or Ms. Do not reveal personal information.

You should always try to do your best to write words correctly but if you can not spell a word ask someone to help or you should write it as best you can. The person who owns the blog will probably know the word and fix it for you.

Use proper spacing, punctuation, and it should make sense.

Add new information or ask or reply a question.

You also need to read over the comment to make sure that it makes sense.

You can compliment the post or the writer. You always should be polite on the comment that you leave and do not use blah sentences like best friends 4 ever.

Make sure that if you are a student, a parent teacher or grown-up has checked your comment to make sure it makes sense.

Lastly, make sure your comment has something to do with the comment or post that you are replying too. Make sure that you are even replying on the correct post.

Hope that this information is helpful!

Margot* 🙂
    in Mr. Salsich`s class

P.S. I hope that Juan Pablo or Peresozo will meet you before the year is over! Juan Pablo and Peresozo would love to meet you very soon.

20. Woof, woof Leo and the 2KJ and 2KM kids,
    Thanks for asking about quality commenting Leo. You have helped me alot because I have so much to learn! This is my first comment ever and it’s great to have so much advice to get me started. I didn’t know that there were so many clever kids in the world. I was wondering if someone could teach me how to make flashing smiley faces? When I see them I bark and run around in circles. It is so much fun!
    Bow, wow for now from Ruckus the Reading dog
    (K/1D’s Class mascot)

• @ Ruckus the Reading Dog,

Roar! Nice to hear from you! I ♥ having so many mascot buddies. You should get on Skype with Panda, Juan Pablo, Quicksilver and I sometime! We’ll show you the ropes.

Thank you for leaving your very first comment on our blog!

I’m so glad you like the 😆 – all you have to do is type : lol : without the spaces in between. To learn more about these fun HTML codes check out this page on our blog.

Well, I’m sleepy so I’m crawling back under the desk now.

Bye!
      Your mascot buddy,
      Leo

21. To everyone else who has left me a comment on this post,

Thank you! You have all given me such great advice and I think I am getting better at commenting!

Margot – I hope I can meet Perezoso or Juan Pablo too! I sometimes chat to them on Skype when the kids have gone home but I want to meet them in person. I wonder if I can be like Flat Stanley and travel to the USA in an envelope!

Hope to hear from you all again.

Your friend,
    Leo 😆

22. @ Leo,

I think you are getting better at commenting too!
    I think you will be as good as Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan soon.

Warmest wishes,
    Haille.

23. Dear Haille,

Thanks for your compliment. I have been working hard to get better at blogging.

See you tomorrow,
    Leo

PS – I might be asleep ALL week because I have been awake all weekend while the kids haven’t been here at school!

24. Hi Leo,
    My name is Cocoa. I’m a brown Irish Setter who was recently adopted by the beautiful girls of 2C at PLC, Sydney.
    I have been on two wonderful home visits this term already. Isabelle and Milla took great care of me and we had so much fun together. You can read about my adventures at our Year 2 blog site.
    Do you go on home visits? If so, what was the most exciting thing you have done so far?
    The girls and I really liked your video on quality blogging. We found it so useful. Thank you for putting it up.
    Anyway Leo, I better go and get some rest. It’s been a big day.
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Your friend
    Cocoa

• @ Cocoa,

Thank you for stopping by!

I just checked out your photo on your blog and I’m sure all the boys and girls in 2KM and 2KJ are going to think you’re very cute! I wish I had curly ears like that!

I haven’t been on home visits yet however I am going to ask Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris if I can one day! The only problem is, I keep falling asleep! So I might not be that fun to have around. I will have to stop skyping all night and get to bed earlier.

Well Cocoa, I better go. The children are back at school tomorrow and I better clean up! I’ve been having fun at school without them but I have left chocolate wrappers everywhere … shh…. 😳

Best wishes,
      Leo

• Hi Leo,

Thank you for your lovely reply. The girls in my class think you’re really cute, too. They love your golden colour. What shampoo do you use to make your fur so shiny?
        You would absolutely love home visits, Leo! You will need to stay awake though because there’s so much to do. Between the Sushi Train, movies, dance parties and horse riding lessons, you won’t have time to sleep.
        Today we made a terrarium, Leo. The girls had so much fun building it, by adding in the pebbles, gravel, potting mix, plants and water. You can see pictures of them on our site.
        What did the Year 2s do today at your school?
        Hey, did the kids notice your chocolate wrappers this morning? I had some popcorn and watched a DVD on the Interactive Whiteboard last night. I LOVE the movie, “Alvin and the Chipmunks”. I put the DVD back though before they came in today. Ssshh don’t tell them my little secret.
        Love Cocoa

25. Dear Cocoa,

Thank you for your comment and please thank the girls for the compliment! I use Lion’s Luscious Locks shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if you’ve heard of it. I get it sent over all the way from South Africa!

Ohhhhh home visits do sound good! I will have to ask Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris about that. It sounds like so much fun!

Luckily the children didn’t notice the chocolate wrappers! Thank goodness. I got them all cleaned up just in time. It sounds like we have something in common. I like watching movies on the IWB too. But only when all the teachers and students have gone home! Your secret is safe with me!

A terranium sounds like fun. I have never made one before but I do like gardening! Today the students in 2KM and 2KJ watched a story on Behind the News. It was about chickens! Hmmm speaking of chicken, I better go make dinner!

Talk soon amigo!
    Leo